Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Unhappy How safe can these be with fires in ashpans?

I bought and installed mine in Nov 07. Since then, just like many of you the brain was replaced, ashpot, blower, coupler etc.

Just recently I woke up at 1:00 in the am to a fire in the ashpan. It was so hot we couldn't open it up barehanded but when we did get it open we had to pour water over it all to get it out. My whole house was filled with smoke (I could smell it all the way upstairs in the bedroom).

The rep came down and replaced the blower, is ordering a new brain, other pieces, new thermostat etc BLA BLA BLA.

Now that I'm reading that mine is not the only one and they know all about these problems it's pissing me off.

My family could have been burnt to death and I'm scared to death of this thing.

I wonder if they can spell CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT??????????

I'm waiting to hear back from the rep today. I am going to demand either my money back or a suitable replacement.

Does anyone know if there has been a new one out this year without these problems? Or is the newest one from last year?

I don't want them to replace it with another lemon!!!!!!

Giselle

Post Me too

I bought the Mt. Vernon Insert about 6 weeks ago. Propane has skyrocketed and I decided $3500 was tough to swallow but worth it. It started up beautifully. It worked great and the heat output was fantastic (for about a couple of days). We got an error message about the vacuum switch during the first sign of wind. It filled up my house with smoke. The switch was replaced. First sign of wind, same thing. Our dealer has been willing to help but corporate keeps coming up with excuses. They say we need a new motherboard now and that will fix everything. We have been waiting for this board for over 4 weeks. I still use the stove but when the wind comes the smoke comes into the house. This is becasue the vacuum switch is bypassed (per manufacturer's instructions). I've had a neighbor ask if everything was all right when her kid came home smelling like a camp fire. Like everyone else, I feel if i pay this much, it should work. At least fix it fast. It's bad because I wanted to save money on propane but instead I blew $3500 and still have to use my propane to heat the house. I can use my stove when it's not windy but my particular area has wind quite often.

I'm with Cassmir - Let's start a classaction suit. Michael, you said your wife is a lawyer. Get it started. Sign me up.

You know I totally forgot about the wind thing. I live high uptop of a hill and it is very windy here also. We live on a penninsula and I overlook Boston Harbor in the Front and to the side Boston Light so we get the winds off of the ocean constantly but when it really starts to come in northeast my stove blows dark smoke back into the house. On top of everything else, I must of thought of this a minor when talking to the rep as last year they just said that shouldn't be happening when they other guy came out to replace everything!!!

I think I remember the brand new white carpeting inlayed in my livingroom HAHA. We just built it and moved in Last Nov when we installed the stove. I thought we were looking a little grey these days - thought it was just the weather.

Guess I have to laugh even though I'm totally disgusted with this whole thing.

I have e-mailed the rep who came last Tuesday yesterday and today to find out what is going on with the repairs and let him know what I'v found out on this site and he still hasn't returned a call.

He had the audacity to tell me my stove was safe to run when not home and at night!!! He also just bull****ted his was through the problems stating that he only knows of a couple of problems but those were because the people were using New England pellets!!!!! What a Crock.

I'll wait a day or two for a call then I will take my journey to another level.

Giselle

Me2

Well I got a phone call after work. I guess my new board finally made it in. My dealer is going to put it in tonight. I guess Quadrafire sent him a new thermostat to go with it. I don't know why because my thermostat is working fine. I guess perhaps there is some new software and it will communicate differently with the board? At any rate, I do hope it works and will provide a response. I am having some doubts reading all the comments. It does seem like they (QF) are just grasping at solutions and throwing them out. Hopefully not. I really do love the stove when it is working (in my case when it is not windy outside and not filling my house with smoke). Supposedly this will fix it. I will report.

The older wall stats will not work with the newest boards. One of the issues fixed in the newest control boards is the VAC SWITCH errors some people get with certain vent configurations. I have one customer with this problem that I need to go replacethier board as well, but they have never had massive smoke come inside.

New Board Installed

JTP - Thanks for the note. I'm guessing I was getting smoke inside because the vacuum swith was just bypassed and where my venting is, the wind usually goes perpendicular to it. I do not get smoke in the house when there is no wind.

The new board was installed last night and the "new" thermostat came in. I replaced the thermostat while my dealer replaced the board. As I took my "old" one off and compared it with the "new" one, my "old" one had a newer REV date. My original had a date of 2/07/08 and the one I got last night was 9/??/07. I showed by dealer and he said maybe the factory just refurbished it and updated something. I put it in anyway but have also kept my original one. It seems to be working well but so did my older board without wind. I don't think strong winds are in the forecast until Tuesday, so I will update then, if not sooner.

I do admit though that I love this thing when there is no smoke coming into my house.

Quote Originally Posted by sah22 View Post
    ...I do admit though that I love this thing when there is no smoke coming into my house.
    That's like saying you love your wife when she's not trying to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    That's like saying you love your wife when she's not trying to kill you.
    Do you have some sort of a problem with Quadrafire / HHT / HNI ? There are some people on here in these recent posts being reasonable and trying to get their stoves repaired and working. All you are doing in this thread and the other is trying to stir up emotions. I am not saying writing a letter to HHT or HNI (mentioned in another thread) would be a bad thing or is a bad suggestions but its just the way it is being stated. You know what they will do when the get the letter? They will call the dealer and the dealer will tell them they are doing what Quad has been telling them to do.

First of all my other thread was posted before I found this one or visa versa.
    I was asking for help with anyone who had problems.
    Do you think that I am stirring up problems with the fact that my house could have burned down with 3 generations of our family in it.
    I'm not sure if you are replying to me or someone else but my concerns are valid.
    This stove last night again started burning in the ashpot.

If they can get my stove to work properly and be safe to heat my home , which is why I bought it originally, I will be satisfied.

BUT for a rep to come here and replace a blower and tell me that it is safe to run at night and when I am not home, when it is certainly not, is negligable.

I just want what I paid for and nothing else. Well actually I want my family not to burn in a fire because a company released a stove that was not properly tested but put on the market anyway.

I can't imagine that you yourself would put someone elses family in danger just because your boss or job told you to do so and that seems to be the case with my problems and maybe not anyone elses.

I would have much rather had him tell me straight about the problems and tell me not to use the stove unless it is tended to than to tell me that I just need to get the confidence back to leave it unattended.

I don't think that I am being unreasonable for wanting that.

Giselle

Cassimir, you are one of the people I was saying is being reasonable. The person I quoted, sysint, seems to be trying to stir up trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    Do you have some sort of a problem with Quadrafire / HHT / HNI ? There are some people on here in these recent posts being reasonable and trying to get their stoves repaired and working. All you are doing in this thread and the other is trying to stir up emotions. I am not saying writing a letter to HHT or HNI (mentioned in another thread) would be a bad thing or is a bad suggestions but its just the way it is being stated. You know what they will do when the get the letter? They will call the dealer and the dealer will tell them they are doing what Quad has been telling them to do.
    If Quadrafire can't figure out from the letter their dealer can't handle the issue they are really dumb. If there is enough SOOT (let's identify it properly), that tells me combustion gas is in the house. That is not proper under any circumstances and needs to be repaired. The HO needs to have an actual letter to the manufacturer to validate the claim and seek a proper resolution. The dealer is not handling this issue properly. Let's take an oil burner by contrast... if it's dumping soot into the space it gets red tagged. Time to red tag this unit and have it repaired. The problem is that IT IS A NEW UNIT. Please identify whereby the condition of ashpan fires is OK. I've been in the HVAC business for over 20 years. I'm not stirring up trouble. The trouble is with the unit and it needs attention. I've got nothing personal against Quadrafire. I own one and it runs fine. This new model has design problems and needs correction. R&D'ing in this persons house is unacceptable.

If Quadrafire can't figure out they have a responsibility with their product, then I'd go after them. Either way, they are doing their reputation a disfavor by not being more aggressive at solving the issue. Personally, I think the dealer is probably incompetent and Quadrafire isn't even aware of the issues yet with this person. However, I'll put money on it that they have seen this problem already....

EDIT-- What I don't understand is your position jtp- If you bought a microwave that blew out smoke every so often you would have returned it for a new one. If your new TV would have lines across it every so often you would have taken it back for a new one. If your new car would arbitrarily not start you would have it in the shop constantly until you could declare it a Lemon by WI law and you would get a new car after only five visits with the same problem... However, you have some double standard with Quadrafire?

EDIT 2 -- Let's take this a couple more steps if Quadrafire doesn't get involved.... next up is a third party pellet stove rep or the local building inspector condemning the installation and/or the equipment. I would think Quadrafire would get off their seat if a well written letter is submitted directly to them. Actually, I'd call Q-fire, talk to somebody and get their name and address and follow up with a certified letter. I'd do that immediately.
    Last edited by sysint; 04-04-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Confused Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well, here is the update. Nice weather conditions outside (with the exception of cold) and the stove was running beautifully. I love it. Last night was the first test of wind. Guess what?

Yep, smoke in the house with the vacuum switch error. I'm so sad. I guess I need them to take back the unit. I don't know what to replace it with. I hear there smaller units (castille, santa fe, etc.) don't have any of these problems. I just wanted the higher output to heat my whole house. Any recommendations?

I have a Castille. I don't like that the hopper is too small and over time the fit of the cast iron panels is suspect because of the way they attach. Also, I don't like the way they do the OA connection and the blower is loud.

However, I'm free of ashpan fires, backdrafted smoke, and haven't had any hopper or ignition module problems.

However, my brother has a Yankee Bay and really his has been performing better for the money. I'm not fond of the styling, but functionally, it's better than the Castille.

I had been looking at this Mt Vernon and doing a comparison with the Harmon Accentra and the person I know who installed this unit loves it. Zero issues.

EDIT-- SAH's they make intake and exhaust terminations that are more directional wind resistant. Possibly you could check into that.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast