Page 1 of 17 1234567811 ... LastLast

Frown

I purchased a new Mt Vernon Pellet Stove "Advanced Energy" last Friday (11/10/06). Took the wood stove out and installed the new Mt. Vernon on Saturday (11/11/06) and plugged it in. Nothing works!!!!!!!!! Contacted dealer at 2:30 PM of which they commented their was nothing they could do till Monday morning. Called Quadra-Fire's 800 number, but their office is closed. Well on Monday morning (11/13/06) I got a call from the dealer of which they said they would come to the house to check it out. They checked it agreed that nothing appears to be working. They called Quadra-Fire and did some trouble shooting? They will be sending a new thermostat. Asked them to overnight it so we could have some heat the following day. Didn't get a call back confirming that they would be shipping it out. At 5:00 EST I called Quadra-Fire, took around 40 minuts till someone answered. They were real pleasent on the pnone and helpfull/sympothetic. Explained to her problem w/ screw falling out of power supply and that it needs replaced. She asked me to check the voltage on the red & white wire connecting to the circuet board. But could not get any current reading. Asked her to send me a new power supply. But no, she has to go through the dealer. Gave her the dealer phone number. She called the dealer, then called me back, stating that a service person (Dealer) would once more stop at the house in the morning. Boy what a put off. On Tuesday morning (11/14/06) the dealer had 2 service people stop in to trouble shoot our problem. They tried contacting Quadra-Fire at 9:30 AM EST and couldn't understand why they were not accepting any phone calls. At 9:50 they left. My wife calls me at work and said they just left and did nothing to fix the stove. I took off work and came home and called Quadra_Fire. Explained to them how it appears no progress is being made here. Explained to her what I had tested in reference to the power supply. She said once more, she would contact the dealer. The dealer calls and says they ordered a new thermostat. The thermostat is the problem. Stoped in at the dealer and explained to them that they need to order a new power supply. Dealer stopped at the house and then called me at work to find out where the power supply was located. The dealer has expresed to me that they really have no idea as to how this stove works.

Is their any way to get through to Quadra-Fire so I can get the required needed parts for getting this unit to work?????????????

A dealer can order any part you want if you pay for it. If they think it is broken they will replace it under warranty. Sounds like they are doing what they can to repair it. This unit JUST came out within the last month so be patient, its just like anything new that comes out, no one has had to fix them yet. If you are anywhere near Madison, WI, I could help you out, otherwise you can check quads site to see if you have any other dealers nearby that might have someone. Look for someone Pellet NFI Certified.

Hello ayoder!

Sorry you are having trouble with your new stove.

I find your post somewhat frustrating because you don't give a good description of what the repairman tested and what they found to be defective and why. As I am hearing you describe the problem, it seems to vary between a bad thermostat, a bad power supply and a screw that has fallen out of the power supply.

I find it difficult to understand why several different problems have been diagnosed, and therefore I'm not confident you are relating the problem in a way I can understand what is going on.

I'm actually kind of impressed that several different repair people showed up promptly to diagnose the problem, although it doesn't seem they have sold you that they have found the actual problem.

The bottom line for me is that your post doesn't provide enough information to know whether the problem(s) have been correctly diagnosed. Then again, I'm not a pellet stove Xpert, so what do I know?

May I ask what kind of wood stove you pulled out and why? Are you ready to put it back in again?!

Seattle Pioneer

Thanks for responding to my frustrations.

I am a consumer trying to get someone, the dealer, to fix the pellet stove manufactured by "Quadra-Fire" (Hearth & Home Tech.).
    The stove is called "Mt Vernon Pellet Stove AE" (Advanced Energy).

After connecting the wall module (looks like a thermostat) and plugging in the stove, it is supposed to show a display on the wall module. Their is nothing. The tech. (dealer) was to test to see if their was any power on the red and green connection to the wall module and they said it had power and the problem was the thermostat.
    I checked the wires and could not get any voltage readings whatsoever. Then tested the power supply and it as well didn't show any voltage. This is when I asked them (Quadra-Fire) to send me a power supply and I would give them Credit Card to charge it to and we could work out the warranty info. later. They refused and said they would contact the dealer. They, Quadra-Fire, did not communicate this to the dealer but instead ordered a new wall module. My communication skills must not be too greate either.

Well, got the new wall module today and still nothing is working. That did not make any difference. Now they (dealer) says the power supply is in the mail. Should have it tomarrow.

The dealer appears to have no idea at all how this pellet stove is to work and they have no idea where to start on this. That is only my observation.

If the stove is not working tomorrow, I will be pulling the unit out and set it outside with the rest of the cold weather. Then go to the dealer and get my money back, with an explaination of me being his walking bill-board (bad experiances explained to people I get in contact w/). Then I will be going to a different dealer w/ hopefully better service and stove support. I am looking for recommendations for a good pellet stove. Give me your recommendations.

The reason for me wanting to swap out the existing stove (Country Comfort a small unit), is as follows:

1) When I got fire wood I would have to cut it again so it would fit in the stove.
    2) The wood was economical, but harder for my wife to maintain a constant fire.
    3) Would have to relight the fire every morning.
    4) Also am looking for an "easy to maintain stove" for if I am not around any more, my wife will be able to maintain it fairly easily.

So glad someone is actually reading my responses and conserns.

Thanks again for reading and responding.

Exclamation time zones

I haven't read through the whole post yet but Quad is located in Colville, Washington as in Left Coast, as in 3 hr. time zone difference. If you call in the morning, they are still asleep.

My advice, email them with the serial number. You get better service and it creates an audit trail.

I'll read it again and see if I can come up with some answers.

Hang in there!

BTW, what area do you live in?

We live in Gnadenhutten, Ohio. This is about 35 miles south of Canton, OH (Football Hall of Fame).

Sounds like the dealer is trying but why did you not buy from someone who would install it?
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

<<The reason for me wanting to swap out the existing stove (Country Comfort a small unit), is as follows:

1) When I got fire wood I would have to cut it again so it would fit in the stove.
    2) The wood was economical, but harder for my wife to maintain a constant fire.
    3) Would have to relight the fire every morning.
    4) Also am looking for an "easy to maintain stove" for if I am not around any more, my wife will be able to maintain it fairly easily.>>

Sorry you are still having no success getting the pellet stove to work. I can really only offer tea and sympathy, since I'm not a pellet stove Xpert and it sounds like your new stove is high tech enough to be beyond the ability of your local techs to understand. That's tough. I hope the power supply works, but I wonder if they are just guessing and throwing parts at it praying that they will, by chance, replace the right one.

That's really not an adequate way of troubleshooting equipment, in my view.

That's an interesting list of reasons to get rid of the wood stove. I recommissioned my woodstove this year after ten years of sucking up natural gas for heat.

I posted a few days ago on my experiences using poplar as a fuel ----I wasn't getting enough heat with the larger chunks of wood I was using. I decided that the chunks need to be smaller to have enough surface area to burn faster and thus produce more heat ----that seems to be improving things. I discovered I needed to adapt more carefully to the fuel I was using, rather than just pitching in wood. So I'm getting closer to "nature" as I gain my experience with this fuel.

The chainsaw makes short work of cutting wood. A year ago I was using a ten pound sledge to hammer a splitting maul, and a chunk of steel about the size of a .38 caliber bullet broke off and buried itself about 4" deep in the muscle of my thigh ---lucky it didn't hit anything more sensitive! That was a visit to a Dr for treatment. The chainsaw seems safer.

Yeah, things cool off by morning, but on the bright side I'm highly motivated to get the fire going!

Anyway, I'm slowly getting back into the wood heat culture. It'll take more time to solve all the problems so things are working at peak efficiency, and by then I suppose I'll again be bored with cutting, firebuilding, stoking and ash removal.

But for now, it's still fun.

Seattle Pioneer

I am looking for recommendations for a good pellet stove. Give me your recommendations.
    The one you already have... its the best. Top of the line new technology.

Installation is not the problem. The dealer would have installed it, at a price and I really had no problems installing it. The problem is with the electonics in the stove.

I got it from a local dealer in our neighboring town of New Philadlephia, about 7 miles from our home. The dealer is "Quaker Fireplace" which is own by "Sugarcreek Heating and Air Conditioning" also known as "Blauch Heating and Air Conditioning". The next dealer is around 35 - 40 miles. The hvac technicians were from "Sugarcreek Heating and Air Conditioning".

I did look for an email address for Quadra-Fire, but couldn't find one on the web. I did post a question to then last Saturday using the "Ask a Question" and they said I would hear back from them within 3 days. It's 5 days now and still have not received a call back from them on this question that was posted.

I did go with the "Mt Vernon Pellet Stove AE" b/c it could burn alternative fuels other than wood pellets like corn and do beleive it would be a great stove, if it were working.

Maybe the power supply will fix the problem. But I guess I still need to search out for a good reputable dealer to support me with this unit.

Thanks for all of your input and encouragement.

It's working just great now!!!!

After replacing the defective power supply, last night, it iniciated the startup cycle and works just fine. I am really impressed w/ this stove, now after it is working.

Currently working on the problem with the ash tray not sealing off properly. It is gasketed with the rope type seal all aroung where it meets the stove. But appears to not having enough pressure against it to seal it off properly. Used "C" clamps on both sides to create more of a compression to seal it, for now. I will be mounting a De-Sta-Co type pull clamp (one that will look good).

I have also investigated into using a different dealer, one that will be able to service this unit, if need be. But he is like 1 - 1.5 Hr's from here. What I may be able to do, is do the diagnosing and call him for ordering parts/services as needed.

Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement,

Andy

Talking Mt Vernon AE

Glad its working. Don't forget the wall control holds error codes and the last 22 functions performed.

Soon, you'll be able to plug in a USB cable or phone cord into the control and download software patches or possibly even send data back to Colville for analysis.

Please keep us posted how this ground breaking next generation stove performs.
    Thx,

leeann Guest

Mt Vernon Pellet Stove

We purchased one too back in August, we were sold the discontinued model.....We were neer told we could pre order the newer model.....We had continual problems, the stove would just go out on us right after it would fire up...We had techs out twice, one of those time with a "company rep" YEAH RIGHT!! a fricken District Sales Manager, who was clueless on how to maintenance these things! After their "tweeks" it worked ok FOR ONE DAY then all hell broke loose with it, we have no clue what they did but....

If you arn't getting anywhere with this compnay, so as we did...We filed a dispute with our credit card company siting a defective item and requested that the charge be removed.....I also filed complaints with both Better Business Bureaus..One for the Manufacturer, and one for the dealer.....The dealer told us this was a NON RETURNABLE item....WRONG!!
    I got a call today from the dealer and they are coming out to remove this defective Stove....

Make as much noise as you can, complain to anyone that will listen! Trust me the last thing these people want is bad press.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 17 1234567811 ... LastLast