+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Pump confusion

Post Likes

Heat Pump confusion

here is what I got. Goodman GSZ130241A 2 ton heat pump I installed it with new AH Sept 1st this year. Compressor runs briefly then kicks off in heat mode, runs fine in ac mode. hps is tripped and reversing valve not engaging, solenoid tests good. HO left before I could do anything else, wont be back till next week.

I am thinking the reversing valve is stuck or possibly a charge issue. The reversing valve cant be bad just after a couple months right?????

Anyone got any other ideas???

Thanks for your help

Post Likes
    We can start by discussing how you decided valve didn't switch proper?

Post Likes
    Normally you would hear a swoosh if it had right??? The reversing valve is energized in cooling mode. So when I ran it in cooling mode and switched it back to heat mode there was no distict swoosh, because the valve never switched positions in the first place.
    Last edited by jeffrey43; 11-30-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Post Likes
    Yes normally you do but while running in ac you found normal pressures and then when you disconnected the orange it didn't swoosh " but head spikes? Is that correct?

Post Likes
    Actually I never got the opportunity to put guages on the unit. because they were leaving and wont be back till next week, should have checked that first but was being rushed by HO

Post Likes
    I hate that.

Well let us know what you find.

Those 5mm goodman units are critical charge units Id bet you are severely overcharged.

Post Likes
    Why did it run ok for two months if it was severly over charged???

Post Likes
    Running in cool for two mths now heating season.

Post Likes
    nope been running in heat mode for last two months, they havent used it for ac yet

Post Likes
    Check TXV in outdoor unit or check valve on indoor unit, hard to tell with out putting on gauges.If you have a high pressure going to the indoor unit and a low pressure coming back on the liquid line then it maybe the check valve. If you have a high pressure on both lines it maybe the TXV. I don,t think the reversing valve is energized in heat mode on this unit. If by briefly you mean a day or so then it maybe a problem in defrost, (defrost termination stat?). That would explain why it has been fine for a couple of months because it has been warm enough to not need defrost. Good luck.

Post Likes
    High pressure in heating could simply be result of dirty filter. You need a better inspection of system.

Post Likes
    What I mean by briefly is a couple seconds, the fan doesn't even get going before it kicks off.

Post Likes
    Oh by the way its not a txv its an orific.

Post Likes
    I've got a goodman doing the same thing. Except in both heating and cooling. Eager to see what you find

Post Likes
    Was the charge weighed in at install? Once we started weighing the charge in at install the callbacks stopped, 410a is two different refrigerants and will lie to your guages for the first few hrs of runtime. You may also have a leak, hard to tell without the proper diagnostic tools.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    Once we started weighing the charge in at install the callbacks stopped, 410a is two different refrigerants and will lie to your guages for the first few hrs of runtime.
    Haven't seen it "lie"/mislead my gauges yet. If that were true, you won't be able to check the charge on any unit after you recharged or added charge to after you replaced a leaking evap coil.

Post Likes
    agree that weighing charge is the best option. never a callback.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by codgy View Post
    agree that weighing charge is the best option. never a callback.
    Weighing in is best. But R410A doesn't "Lie" to your gauges for the first few hours.

Post Likes
    Not trying to start an argument beenthere, it was just the easiest way to put what I was trying to say. When a 410 a unit fixed orifice is installed and charged according to sh, it will be correct and something happens to the refrigerant that changes the pressures and temperatures. Weighing the charge according to the manufacturer specs eliminates that problem.

Post Likes
    The refrigerant does not change. Maybe your indoor conditions change.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in