Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Goodman and this is the answer their technical advisor gave us. It is with txvs also. I have seen it with my own two eyes and yes I did check to make sure indoor conditions were the same. At install sh correct, two weeks later severely overcharged, not just a little. Maybe its not the refrigerant, maybe its something else that changes, all I know is that once we started weighing the charge in at install the problem went away. Just like goodmans rep said, so I had no reason to doubt him or research it further. I absolutely hate the idea that the direct measurements are inaccurate, but that's what works. I know a lot of guys on here install Goodman equipment, we can't be the only company that's had this problem

Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    Goodman and this is the answer their technical advisor gave us. It is with txvs also. I have seen it with my own two eyes and yes I did check to make sure indoor conditions were the same. At install sh correct, two weeks later severely overcharged, not just a little. Maybe its not the refrigerant, maybe its something else that changes, all I know is that once we started weighing the charge in at install the problem went away. Just like goodmans rep said, so I had no reason to doubt him or research it further. I absolutely hate the idea that the direct measurements are inaccurate, but that's what works. I know a lot of guys on here install Goodman equipment, we can't be the only company that's had this problem
    Never had this happen to me before, I weigh in the additional charge for line sets and let er rip. Haven't had a call back on a new install for charge. Have change many leaky Evaps pump Down, change coil, vacuum,open up, top off and havn't been back for charge. SC and SH works fine for me with 410. You do have to wait 15-20 min for it to stabilize but not 2hrs

I've used Goodman(R410A) on swap outs and not changed the line set and had no idea of the line set length. Just did it by SH and SC. Haven't had to go back to any and adjust charge.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I've installed only (practically) goodman equitment for 8 years, and have never had this problem.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

hvacvegas the reason you are not having problems because you are installing them properly.. It is crucial that every unit is properly charged upon installation especially on heat pumps. All heat pumps should and must always use a TXV metering device and be charged by suBcooling method. R410A does not "lie" to your gauges for the first two hours, I don't know who came up with such a thing.. You must however allow the unit to run for at least 15 min before you begin making adjustmens on the charge... We are going to see more and more companies having problems with R410A systems because they are not like the old R22 units where you could charge them to beer can cold and it will work...

I am pretty sure any good service technician knows that you charge a TXV system by suBcooling... And you charge a fixed orifice system by superheat..if you don't charge by that rule you will always have problems

Well some of you were right it was over charged and had a filthy filter. The HO didnt even know there was a filter to be changed. I showed it to them when I did the install but no recollection of it from them.

Thanks for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey43 View Post
    Well some of you were right it was over charged and had a filthy filter.
    I haven't seen all there is to see, but I've never seen high head with residential systems caused by anything other than, too much refrigerant or too little condenser air. One or the other (or both) is always a safe bet.

Dirty air filter equals low condenser air flow in heat mode

Also check that indoor fan is on high speed
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123