Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why is it bad to twin them together? Do they have problems starting up or running backwards if one gets going before the other. Standard PSC motors have problems too, is it worse for ECM's?

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Why is it bad to twin them together? Do they have problems starting up or running backwards if one gets going before the other. Standard PSC motors have problems too, is it worse for ECM's?

I'm trying to get the official answer from Regal Beloit on this issue.

I know you can twinn constant torque X-13 motors.

I've heard a couple reasons as to why, but want to get the official answer from the horse's mouth.

It will probably be next week before they respond to me.- I'll let you know.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    I'm trying to get the official answer from Regal Beloit on this issue.
    Sorry about the delay on this response:

I finally got in touch with the guys at Evergreen Motors Technical Support (Genteq) about their Evergreen Motors, and the use of these ECM motors in a twinning application.

I also want to point out for those unfamiliar with these motor, the X-13 is an OEM motor, and the Evergreen AH/IM is a replacement motor - both constant torque ECM motors.

Evergreen's tech support answer was exactly the same as what has been mentioned many times before for Variable Speed ECM motors. It has to do with both the start routine, and the way these motors adjust to changes in static pressure while they are running.

Gentec says, no two ECM motors ( Evergreen, X-13, or Variable Speed 2.0 2.3 3.0) will start exactly the same. All these motors will rock back and forth on start up to determine their direction of rotation. If one makes up it's mind on the correct direction of rotation before the other, it could possibly cause the other one to spin the opposite direction.

Every ECM motor also compensates to the static pressure differently, and if twinned, they will constantly argue with the other ( their words, not mine) while the system is running.

They say constant torque ECM motors like the X-13, and Evergreen AH/IM, are susceptible to these issues just like the variable speed ECM motors, and that's why they don't recommend any twinning applications.

If you read through different manufacturer manuals, the wording can be vague, and they usually don't come right out and say " twinning is allowed with X-13 (constant torque) motors", but they do talk about the option to twin systems that have these motors.

The Genteq rep. said, they don't recommend twinning ANY ECM motor - variable speed or constant torque. Although in the same breath, he said, " I has seen constant torque ECM motors installed in twinning applications, and there didn't seem to be a problem."

I do know Nordyne does approve, and states, that twinning is allowed with their "iSEER Fixed Speed" ECM motor, which is a constant torque ECM motor.

So the moral of this story is - the motor manufacture doesn't recommend it, but some of the system manufactures seem to allow it.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12