Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run cap hack

Run cap hack

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374627639.212002.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  65.8 KB

I found this gem today. Imagine what would've happened if that piece of mulch slipped out.

and when you come and charge x amount your ripping the customer off to do it right, its not that your ripping them off your going to do it right. but daaaam is that how capacitors are being installed these days.

I can think of worse ways then that. At least he did not use scrap copper, of left it hanging in the unit. It's sad they could not take the time to do it correctly, but again, could be way worse.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

The mulch helps insulate the capacitor from vibratory stress as to enhance the longevity of the unit, quality workmanship *smirks and laughs*

I must admit, one time I had a replacement capacitor that was quite a bit smaller. I put three wraps of foam tape around it then put it in its bracket.

That's not mulch, it's capacitor bark. It comes in several sizes, and is usually available in the back yard next to the Goodman anti-rattle brick.

When the bark slips out, it will simply short out, causing the fuses or the breaker to fail or trip. Not a problem! That's a $$$$ call when I go back for that no cool.

On a serious note, how would you make the replacement cap fit in the factory bracket? Wire ties? New strapping? Leave the cap In the box it came in? Also, don't forget, it's 6pm, and you have been going since 7am and still have four more no ac calls to do.

Talk about a "jerry rig"!!

Quote Originally Posted by HotWaterHeat View Post
    When the bark slips out, it will simply short out, causing the fuses or the breaker to fail or trip. Not a problem! That's a $$$$ call when I go back for that no cool.

On a serious note, how would you make the replacement cap fit in the factory bracket? Wire ties? New strapping? Leave the cap In the box it came in? Also, don't forget, it's 6pm, and you have been going since 7am and still have four more no ac calls to do.
    Just because its late or your tired, there's no excuse for doing something half assed. It probably took longer to find a piece of bark that's just the right size then to cut a piece of perforated strap and run in a couple zip screws.I mean its on the shelf right next to the capacitos in everyone's van, right.

Wow that what I was doing wrong not putting mulch with it, All these years I was doing it wrong.by rebending bracket and using self tapper to secure

Quote Originally Posted by HotWaterHeat View Post

I either use plumbers strap or crimp the factor strap. We have had hacks in our company not secure it at all, short out and take a compressor with it. I agree it SHOULD trip a breaker or blow a fuse before any damage is done but it can also be worse. 7am to 6pm is normal hours for us, laziness sets in around 830-9:00 lol

you just know whats gonna happen after a couple more weeks without rain and all the moisture is gone from that piece of bark.....

What a hack. He should have left the cap in the cardboard box it came in to protect it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast