Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tim, is it true that CoreSence will be on all but the smallest Copeland's in the future? ETA? Is that going to be cost effective for customers like Goodman?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhvac75 View Post
    Tim, is it true that CoreSence will be on all but the smallest Copeland's in the future? ETA? Is that going to be cost effective for customers like Goodman?
    I was questioning this at first, but it actually makes total sense. The actual electronics are dirt cheap, and flash memory is even cheaper. An 8 gig flash drive could hold decades of run history. If a coresense technology plus datalogging was incorporated into every compressor, they could mandate the flash drive be turned in with every compressor warranty claim. The result would be that they could deny 95% of claims based on the fact that the compressor was killed, and didn't fail from defects.

It's already here with cars, manufactures are denying claims based on info from the datalogger. One well known case was the Nissan GTR, in which just turning on a "race mode" instantly voids the power train warranty.

I love it when the reps drop in to a forum.

It shows that they care about us poor buggers in the field.

Thanks for the link Tim.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

yes, our goal is to incorporate electronic diagnostics and monitoring where it makes sense. Craig made a good point, it is relatively inexpensive and the benefits far out weight the cost of the device. Our intent is not to deny warranty claims or point the finger at who is to blame, we want the be proactive and prevent a failure before it happens.

Warranty claims are like death and taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhvac75 View Post

So what about these electronics being another part to fail? I assume when it senses an overload it shuts off power to the windings. Can it be bypassed?
    Refrigeration is something we don't want to turn off for an electronic fart.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Yea, I'm not sure what an electronic fart is... The only lockout on Discus compressors are low oil pressure and thats always been the case. The other is the discharge line sensor and that is (optional). As for Scroll K5 refrigeration compressors they will only lockout on reverse phase sensing. Lockouts can be activated by the DIP switches on the controller.

The CoreSence modules are also the motor overload protection and should not be bypassed. Electronic motor overloads have been used for years on refrigeration compressors so this is really nothing new.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  41.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Copeland Tim View Post
    Yea, I'm not sure what an electronic fart is... The only lockout on Discus compressors are low oil pressure and thats always been the case. The other is the discharge line sensor and that is (optional). As for Scroll K5 refrigeration compressors they will only lockout on reverse phase sensing. Lockouts can be activated by the DIP switches on the controller.

The CoreSence modules are also the motor overload protection and should not be bypassed. Electronic motor overloads have been used for years on refrigeration compressors so this is really nothing new.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  41.5 KB
    Those colored LED lights are hard for color blind techs to tell what the code is. Being that a large majority of men are color blind, looks like they would stay away from color coded faults.
    Device just looks to me like another part that can fail. I can see a use for it on a refrigeration rack, but not hvac.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Is the lunch ok?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12