+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want to get into Controls. Need advice where to start

Post Likes

Want to get into Controls. Need advice where to start

8 year service tech here... I'm looking to get into some certification classes to learn DDC and BAS controls. I'm pretty much new to these controls besides light pneumatics. Do you guys have any advice on which classes to start with? Or maybe a chronological order of classes I should take. A local company around here is offering a job for DDC/BAS control tech starting $65k-$95k. I can get used to that. I broke my back a couple years back and have been looking into transitioning into a different area of HVAC rather than residential and commercial repairs...

Post Likes
    Useful info in pro forums,, great links to some Niagra video's

Post Likes
    I don't have a pro account yet =(

Post Likes
    You should try RSD controls in Anaheim. Ask them about there classes which they offer.

Post Likes
    Thanks Alcomech, I'll try them tomorrow!

Post Likes
    You alreay have the hard part done, you understand HVAC. The rest is learning to use a software program. I own my own company and would not hire anyone who didn't know HVAC, that's a real problem here. Controls guys are for the most part computer operators, they are good at programming but have no mechanical system experience. What makes a great controls man....or woman, is the ability to predict a outcome and then prove it correct with a meter or system response.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    You alreay have the hard part done, you understand HVAC. The rest is learning to use a software program. I own my own company and would not hire anyone who didn't know HVAC, that's a real problem here. Controls guys are for the most part computer operators, they are good at programming but have no mechanical system experience. What makes a great controls man....or woman, is the ability to predict a outcome and then prove it correct with a meter or system response.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    Your HVAC back ground will get you into pro. Sign up.

Post Likes
    I would second RSD's classes. A very good place to start.

You will want to become well versed in Tridium Niagara as I believe it is becoming the Windows of the Controls world.

Post Likes
    http://www.rsd.net/events.php

Wish they were east, cali, colorodo mostly

Post Likes
    Check out this manual from Honeywell. https://customer.honeywell.com/resou...s/77-E1100.pdf
    UA LU 562

Post Likes
    Thank all of you guys so much. There is some great info here. I think what I'm going to do (in addition to schooling myself) is find a commercial contractor who does controls, work for him, and see if I can get them to let me learn controls on the job as well.

Post Likes
    Best way to get into controls is to get a job for a controls company such as Siemens or Johnson Controls. Check their websites and see what their qualifications requirements are.
    I wasn't able to get a controls job until I received my AS in electronics. The degree along with 15 years HVAC experience was what it took for me.
    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in