Hmm Zoning,By-Pass, and Variable Speed

Hello, looking for some thoughts regarding using VVT style zoning on a variable speed furnace/air handler. Since the motor is load dependent (IE adjusts RPM based on static/resistance to ensure constant volume) how will it react to a bypass damper? I have done a lot of zoning with standard equipment with no issues but these ECM motors have me on the fence regarding trying it out (gets costly after its all installed and don't work). Ive Googled the snot out of it and get recommendations each way. EWC doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks,

Good question... and there is lots of discussion about zoning at H-talk... however: This is a professional site which allows non-pro's to visit.

Reading your post, it appears you have some experience... SO: You need to get your post count up to 15, then apply for Pro status. The forum mgt does not allow us to offer tech stuff on open forums. Behind the PRO door, there is a wealth of knowledge; technical, educational and business.

Search around the site and find a link to apply for PRO status... apply, wait a week or so (the folks who check you are volunteers). Pro status is well worth the effort to join.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Thanks for the heads up, yes I have been dabbling in HVAC for a few years (25+, need my abacus to calculate it). As I have just joined I'm still learning the rules. I will take the next steps as advised.

#3, ok I know, bad toad!

Quote Originally Posted by Precise View Post
    Hello, looking for some thoughts regarding using VVT style zoning on a variable speed furnace/air handler. Since the motor is load dependent (IE adjusts RPM based on static/resistance to ensure constant volume) how will it react to a bypass damper? I have done a lot of zoning with standard equipment with no issues but these ECM motors have me on the fence regarding trying it out (gets costly after its all installed and don't work). Ive Googled the snot out of it and get recommendations each way. EWC doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks,
    Look at the website regarding Arzel Zoning products. I've been promoting (and selling)zoning for approx. 20 years.

Arzel is the first, that I am aware of, that developed a modulating by-pass to solve that "hunting" problem of a barometric by-pass.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Look at the website regarding Arzel Zoning products. I've been promoting (and selling)zoning for approx. 20 years.

Arzel is the first, that I am aware of, that developed a modulating by-pass to solve that "hunting" problem of a barometric by-pass.
    Not sure about the first... however EWC has an electronic bypass valve. A bit pricy, however it works nicely.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Yeah, Ive installed a lot of EWC. Good product, even better support.

Quote Originally Posted by Precise View Post
    Yeah, Ive installed a lot of EWC. Good product, even better support.
    I like EWC products... and I talk to Paul in tech support regularly... cool dude. He got through 'Sandy' with not too much damage... the co was closed for a few days though.

What I like about EWC is the products are ROCK SOLID! And I love the damper motors... nice to work with and the pilot lights are cool! One only has to glance at each damper to know it is working... unlike some others where one does not know what it is doing.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8