+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice water purge causing floor sink and drain to condensate into store below

Post Likes

Ice water purge causing floor sink and drain to condensate into store below

Hey people, Looking for some feedback on a condensate problem. I have a small market that is below a restuarant. All drain lines from the restaurant are exposed in the ceiling of the market. So, were having an issue that when the ice machine purges, all of that cold water sits in the p-trap and the cast starts sweating. Same thing happens with the floor sink. I've done the obvious and insulated the lines with armaflex, glued and siliconed all the seems. Then wrapped with 10 mil tape. Seems all I've achieved is a water tight water vessel? Thought about using heat tape? Also thought about trying one of those heat exchangers for the incoming and purge water to get the temp down. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    How thick is the wall of the insulation you used?

Post Likes
    You need real plumbing pipe insulation. You might end up having to put some sort of pan under that trap to allow the condensate to re-evaporate into the air.

Post Likes
    1/2 wall

Post Likes
    I'm assuming that the water is on the inside of the armaflex? It sounds to me like the pipe is leaking somewhere and pooling up inside of the insulation. Fix the leaks first, then insulate the drain lines if still needed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    1/2 wall
    Probably going to need at least 2 inch pipe insulation like timebuilder mentioned.

Post Likes
    If you are sure there are no leaks then up the insulation to at least 1" and not just the trap. Run it all the way I the ceiling.

Post Likes
    How can it be possible that 1/2" insulation isn't thick enough? Maybe if the cast iron pipe was turning into a giant ice ball or something, otherwise I can't see how this is possible. It's just a stupid drain line. Maybe he should just encase the whole damn ceiling with 4 feet of expanding foam.

Post Likes
    water leaks, the guy on top just gives you the run around, to make sure go and look upstairs at his floor, is it dry? if it is, then insulate or cool down your place a little...

Post Likes
    Ran into this in a hi rise. Ice machine drain running thru an unconditioned ceiling space on the floor below. Passed that one off to the building engineers. Wish I could tell you how it ended.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in