+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is required to modify when using 407C and 404A as drop-in for R-22

Post Likes

What is required to modify when using 407C and 404A as drop-in for R-22

Name:  WP_000546.jpg
Views: 5694
Size:  58.6 KBHFC-407C and HFC-404A if they are used a drop-in replacement for R-22. Other then maybe changing the compressor oil out, are there any other requirements? Is this a cost effective then to buy R-22 currently, which may go up in price later on? I was just wondering about this and I wanted feedback from you guys.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    404a would probably require a new TXV at the least

Post Likes
    404 is just as expensive as 22

Post Likes
    Why would want to use 404? It is really not a good replacement for 22 in AC system. I have never heard of using 404 in place of 22. 404 is always used in low temp systems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    Why would want to use 404? It is really not a good replacement for 22 in AC system. I have never heard of using 404 in place of 22. 404 is always used in low temp systems.
    A lot of med temp reach in use 404a

Post Likes
    I pay alot more for 22 than I do 404. Never heard of dropping in 404 to replace 22.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC AIR View Post
    I pay alot more for 22 than I do 404. Never heard of dropping in 404 to replace 22.
    I never heard of it either, loll but it says it in my textbook. I just wondering what you folks thought about it.

Post Likes
    hmmmmm... next junk R-22 unit you have, dump some 404 in it and report your findings lol.

Post Likes
    With a metering device change, r-22 to 404a is possible.

R404a is an excellent MT refrigerant. Don't think that it isn't. I haven't seen it in AC applications, though.

Besides oil changes and MD changes/modifications, you'll also want to replace any elastomeric seal on the system. The change from R-22 to 404/407 causes the seals to shrink back to a normal size and will VERY often cause VERY LARGE leaks.

Post Likes
    R404A would be suitable to replace R22 in a refrigeration application, but not a high temp one such as comfort cooling on an air to air system.

Post Likes
    That is a weird book you have In the pic. Neither of the refrigerants that are listed as "drop ins" actually are.

A "drop in" requires no modification to the system. Hot Shot is a drop in for r-12.

To replace R-22 with 404 would require at a minimum new TXVs, oil, and seals. It also has a pretty large capacity loss.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    R404A would be suitable to replace R22 in a refrigeration application, but not a high temp one such as comfort cooling on an air to air system.
    What type of refrigeration application? And also when you say comfort cooling , you mean just plain AC units ? Thanks for the replies.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    That is a weird book you have In the pic. Neither of the refrigerants that are listed as "drop ins" actually are.

A "drop in" requires no modification to the system. Hot Shot is a drop in for r-12.

To replace R-22 with 404 would require at a minimum new TXVs, oil, and seals. It also has a pretty large capacity loss.
    It is my school book. 'HVAC' NCCER Contren Learning Series . Currently in Level 3 book. One more to go afterward!

Well, thats why I asked the question here to get feedback from folks on the field. I also understood the "drop-in" as just charging the unit with replacement refrigerant and no need to modify. But as I continued to read the book, it said to change the oil in the compressor. And the pro's here also said other things like txv and some seals.

Post Likes
    im finding once you lay the price for a r22 recharge on them they become more interesed in a410 system

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    What type of refrigeration application? And also when you say comfort cooling , you mean just plain AC units ? Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah, comfort cooling is A/C.

R404A ca be used for med or low temp refrigeration(coolers/freezers).

Post Likes
    Agreed with beenthere, 404 is a great medium and low temp refrigerant. Never even considered it as a comfort cooling refrigerant. The only ones I can think of that do dual duty (ac and small refrigeration) that still get used a lot are 22 and 134a.

Post Likes
    Don't do it. Not a recommended refrigerant for use with an R-22 system.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in