+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New home owner, trying to get fireplace to work. All help is greatly appreciated

Post Likes

New home owner, trying to get fireplace to work. All help is greatly appreciated

So we purchased our home and I am going to try to get the fireplace to start. We have a older model Heat N Glo 6000 GDV model.

Here is my situation - Firstly, thank God there is a forum like this

1. Fireplace gas is on and running
    2. I have a wall switch
    3. Toggle On/Off switch behind the louver
    4. A remote box installed. Model Heat N Glo RCH-09a. But the remote is nowhere to be found.

So I was able to get the pilot to light last night and it stayed lit. Now I am completely new to this but am good and learning and fixing things. Now before I go too far, I got the pilot to light but never noticed there was a ON so I never turned it to on which is why I believe I could never get the main unit to come on.

But..

My question is with the fireplace set to use a remote and it is lost, is there a way to go back to running it without. I just want to make sure it will ignite manually and that the thermopile is not out.

Here is what the setup looks like. So I am trying to see if I can remove the remote box but I don't know if I need to connect the 2 red wires from the ON/OFF toggle switch to the igniter RH and TP/RH. I just feel like the fireplace will not start without the remote so I want to remove the remote all together. Then once I know its working, I will go get a new remote.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    All that I've installed have a manual "on, off, remote" button on the remote box, you should be able to operate the fireplace with or without a remote.

Post Likes
    Yea all the ones I've done have on, off, remote. On position should work it manually. It might be a good idea to have a pro come look at it to make sure it ventless or vented if vented is chimney in working condition etc etc. gas appliances can do damage (physical, mental and material) if not working correctly. Invest in a low level co detector, not the ones sold in home improvements stores they are not sensitive enough IMO

Post Likes
    Its definitely ventless. I have it taken pretty much all the way apart to see everything. I have no chimney and it is nice and clean under neath. Pilot started with ease really. And I just read that the red button on the reciever is a manual starter. I believe I should be able to get it started today. I took the glass off and all the logs out and inspected everything for clogs and anything that looks out of place. Nothing looked bad at all. I still plan to get it cleaned as I have a heating place coming out to clean my furnace so I will ask them to take a look also.

Post Likes
    So can you give me an example of the CO detector if not one from a regular store?

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Ventless gas logs have to be placed back exactly the way the manufacture designed or they will soot up and cause problems.

Post Likes
    Thanks man. I was able to turn it on with ease. the GTI 6000 requires for the glass to be on for the pilot to stay lit. So I put the door on, lit the pilot and turned on the system and it started with ease. Wife is worried though since it has not been ran in years(we guess. We bought the house in dec 11 and never turned it on). Also looks like the blower is not working. I know thats a easy fix to buy and install.

Post Likes
    Whoa! First of all, Heat & Glo has NEVER made a ventfree gas fireplace. The 6000 GDV is Gas Direct Vent, hence GDV. If this thing does not have a sidewall vent out the back or a vertical termination then DON'T USE IT!!! You can burn the house down or kill someone!

This is not a DIY site

If you cannot find the transmitter for the RCH09A remote, there should be a manual rocker switch located in the valve compartment of a low voltage wire to a wallswitch, either of which can operate the fireplace if it is working properly. The GFK160A convection blower does not operate until the unit has warmed up for about 15 minutes and the rheostat is turned 'on'. The rocker switch should have a wiring pigtail with a label on it noting low voltage wiring only. These wires should lead back to the valve or one through a high limit switch then to the valve.

Hire a pro to inspect and service it. You did not provide you location, which might help us recommend someone for you. Don't let anyone unfamiliar with these fireplaces touch it, including an otherwise highly qualified HVAC tech.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Whoa! First of all, Heat & Glo has NEVER made a ventfree gas fireplace. The 6000 GDV is Gas Direct Vent, hence GDV. If this thing does not have a sidewall vent out the back or a vertical termination then DON'T USE IT!!! You can burn the house down or kill someone!

This is not a DIY site

If you cannot find the transmitter for the RCH09A remote, there should be a manual rocker switch located in the valve compartment of a low voltage wire to a wallswitch, either of which can operate the fireplace if it is working properly. The GFK160A convection blower does not operate until the unit has warmed up for about 15 minutes and the rheostat is turned 'on'. The rocker switch should have a wiring pigtail with a label on it noting low voltage wiring only. These wires should lead back to the valve or one through a high limit switch then to the valve.

Hire a pro to inspect and service it. You did not provide you location, which might help us recommend someone for you. Don't let anyone unfamiliar with these fireplaces touch it, including an otherwise highly qualified HVAC tech.
    Thanks lot for the info and yes I meat to change what I said about being ventless. It was installed by the contractor. My house is in Virginia and its a townhouse. I'm figured out all of the setup. The blower controller works fine, and there is a vent. Now it started fine. I removed the receiver and just used the manual toggle to start it after igniting the pilot. The main thing is it smelled like old burning. Like I said I have no clue when it was last started but we bought the house back in Dec 11 and did not start it the entire year so its possible this thing has been off for years. But it did start right up. Should we expect to smell some of the old gas burning out/off?

Post Likes
    The unit could use a thorough inspection and cleaning. Contact FireSide Hearth & Home for service as they are owned by the mfr. so they can get tech support and parts as needed.

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot, I am giving them a call now. Also thanks for breaking down the 15min wait before the blower comes on. I was wondering why it did not come on immediately. Appreciate the help.

Post Likes
    All fireplaces have some smell when first started after having been off for a period of time. Dust settles into places that you cannot get to clean with a vacuum or rag. This odour does not last very long but may be unpleasant. In fireplaces that have been off for a long time I have seen a very slight smokelike vapour come out for a few moments, again this is accumulated dust. If you are unsure how long it has been unused you should have a qualified service person look at it prior to use.

Post Likes
    Aren't there any manuals for you to check what is wrong with your fireplace? I had encountered trouble with my heater last year and I couldn't do anything to make it okay.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in