Hoshizaki DCM 450 BAE

Posted earlier bout this ice machine. I cleaned condenser, cleaned scale off all water tubes and valves. found a small leak on suction line where insulation had wore off, the water line and suction line were touching each other and vibrations over time did the trick. Gonna re pipe this tomorrow. Customer wants me to look at getting rid R22 in system and going with replacement refrigerant. What is a good drop in replacement for 22 to be used in an ice making capacity? If it was R12 would go with hot shot (r414b) just don't know what to use for this? Was thinking MP44 but what about oil compatibilty issues? Personally I recommended to customer that we just throw 22 back in system after I repipe, reclaim, change dryer, triple evacuate system, then pull to 500 micron vacuum but customer says r22 is expensive and he heard it's environmentally unfriendly and he wants to change out if possible.

I appreciate any advice.

First off, how is R22 enviromentaly unfriendly if it is installed in a machine without any leaks. I would recommend contacting Hoshi about what they recommend. Ice machines can be a temperamental bunch and I'd hate to see you start experimenting only to have to resort back to installing 22 on your dime.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

here we go with the hot shot . hot shot sucks . and it has r22 in it anyway . just use r22 and be done with it. or have him get a new icemaker
    If a Ram is a Sheep, And an Ass is a Donkey, Why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

I agree with the other posts, stick with R22.

Go for it, that's the whole idea of the political agenda of demonizing refrigerants is to create ways for everyone to make money. If your customers feels strongly about this, then give him what he wants. You'll learn from the job, and make money for your company. Plus it is the 'green' thing to do. I didn't read your previous posts about this machine, but the age of the machine is the biggest factor to me. I used to be a factory tech for Hoshi in the 80's. If you want to talk to someone with Hoshi that comes from the field, he would give you the best advise. His name is Jack Smithart, your local dealer should have his number.

http://www2.dupont.com/ISCEON/en_US/...guidelines.pdf

I don't think an ice machine is going to like the temperature glides seen in these "drop-in" replacements. At best, you might get the charge correct for a single given temperature, but I doubt you will be able to get something that will work across all the possible ambient and evaporator temperature ranges. If you do though, we'd love to find out what you did and how you did it

R22 only. Hoshizaki will not suggest anything but R22. Tell the customer to stick to cooking or serving drinks.
    once you think you know everything, you'll never learn another thing!

Quote Originally Posted by dswilliams View Post
    Go for it, that's the whole idea of the political agenda of demonizing refrigerants is to create ways for everyone to make money. ]
    So they're looking out for us?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

If the customer really wants to save the environment have him buy a new machine. new machine probably uses less energy and water too.

Wouldn't do it. Sell them a new machine if he is scared of 22. Tell him breathing is bad for the environment to so he should stop that as well.