Thread: Trane Tech. Treated my Dirty Sock. Is it a cure?

Post Likes

Trane Tech. Treated my Dirty Sock. Is it a cure?

I had dirty sock in the fall when my system was first installed last year. It was treated by cleaning and spraying the coils with a mold killer. No more problems....until this fall. It re-occurred. Tech called Trane and got a new product that contains a polymer and acetone. He cleaned the coils again and spayed them with this product. When dry, it feels like a plastic coating. Have any of you used this method and is it safe for the machine and humans? I suppose so but other opinions never hurt.
    Thank you.

Post Likes
    Last week on the first cool day, near 36 degrees, the machine defrosted and the smell occurred. This is after the company, at the request of Trance, sprayed a polymer coating on the coils after using a mold killer last fall. I notified the installer and he said he would order a new coil from Trane that is precoated. I guess I will have to pay labor although that is not right since this problem has been presence since it was installed. Does anyone know about the coated coil that Trane is now using to take care of the " dirty sock " problem?

Post Likes
    Discuss a installing a UV light with your tech. Although the bulb will need to be changed every year, this will help to kill mold in your system before it can attach.

I can't help with the coil c/o. I'm not up to date with Trane's success rate to your issue. No doubt someone here is and can advise you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentonville View Post
    Last week on the first cool day, near 36 degrees, the machine defrosted and the smell occurred. This is after the company, at the request of Trance, sprayed a polymer coating on the coils after using a mold killer last fall. I notified the installer and he said he would order a new coil from Trane that is precoated. I guess I will have to pay labor although that is not right since this problem has been presence since it was installed. Does anyone know about the coated coil that Trane is now using to take care of the " dirty sock " problem?
    It is an epoxy coated coil that is used. Dirty Sock syndrome is not coil related it is due to specific bacteria that grows in installed atmosphere.

It has never been determined what in the enviroment is causing the issue but only occurs in a low number of installations throughout all brands.

As stated install a UV light in the apex of the coil wired to run 24/7 "as it should be" and it will prevent the recurrence.

After reading your other post, it is rare to experience Dirty Sock Syndrome in a coil used in conjunction with a gas furnace/oil duel fuel system. The air temperature when the fossil fuel runs is to high to allow the growth.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in