+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Multimeter?

Post Likes
    Had a SC 76 then upgraded to the SC 77. Used that for years then bought a SC 56 which has been used daily since they first came out. Gave the 76 away and keep the 77 in the truck for a back up. Bottom line is fieldpiece makes good meters at a reasonable price.

Post Likes
    Uei 379 Phoenix 2

Post Likes
    I wouldn't buy the UEi again and read others have similar issues with the Klein versions so its not just me. My next meter will be a Fluke and I should have bought it as my first. Besides probably sill having a working meter I could trust today the money I've dumped over the years on good enough meters that claim to do everything I could have had a Fluke collection going by now.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I wouldn't buy the UEi again and read others have similar issues with the Klein versions so its not just me. My next meter will be a Fluke and I should have bought it as my first. Besides probably sill having a working meter I could trust today the money I've dumped over the years on good enough meters that claim to do everything I could have had a Fluke collection going by now.
    Have you tried the SC56? The Fluke 902 was a huge disappointment for a do it all meter. So far I have not needed anything my SC56 couldn't do. I keep my tool bag as light as possible, don't want to carry 2 meters on every call.

I had trouble with my UEI phoenix, sent it back and got a new one. 1 month later same problems. They don't seem very rugged.

Post Likes
    Have you guys looked at the new fluke cnx 3000 wireless stuff? Pricey as expected, but looks nice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Have you tried the SC56? The Fluke 902 was a huge disappointment for a do it all meter. So far I have not needed anything my SC56 couldn't do. I keep my tool bag as light as possible, don't want to carry 2 meters on every call.

I had trouble with my UEI phoenix, sent it back and got a new one. 1 month later same problems. They don't seem very rugged.
    I would never consider a 902 due to the resistance range and now I want 1000V over 600V. The SC56 would be my next choice but didn't want to go down that road again. It was the UEi before that. The usual meters that come up with new features every few years always hook me but on that same track the ones I chose only last a few years. For the money I'm going Fluke next and hopefully end the needing a new meter every few years.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    You cannot go wrong with the Fluke Brand! My recommendation. Also, make sure you can read milliamps for control system outputs or buy 2 meters; a basic multimeter w/ a nice magnet hanger & a milliamp clamp on meter that Fluke now sells which eliminates your need to read mA in series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm a refrigeration student graduating in the spring and I've been scouring these forums over the past few months picking up tons of tips. Thank you! I'm trying to figure out which meter to pull the trigger on but I'd appreciate some input.

I'm prepared to spend $200-$300, or perhaps more if it's worth it, on a quality meter that will put out for many years.

I see many guys here swear by the Fieldpiece HS36 and the SC56 looks great, but I'm wondering if they're overkill for me at this point.

Should I just go for a cheaper Fluke/Klein? I guess I pretty much just need something that does volts/amps/ohms/temperature until I see more and get a better grasp on what I could be encountering on a day to day basis.

What did you guys start out with? How did it hold up? Any info would be appreciated.
    "Please, Do Not Shoot the Messenger!!!"

"It is not what you Know, but rather, Knowing where to find the answer when you need it"

Post Likes
    Thank you everyone so much for your opinions and suggestions. This is why I am growing to love this forum.

It's a little bit difficult to get ahold of a Fieldpiece here in Nova Scotia is what I am discovering. The UEI 379 as others have mentioned is what I picked up. Then I just read that some of you had some problems? Can you elaborate? I can definitely see me picking up the HS36 sometime in the near future once I get out there but the UEI is what I settled for as it seems to cover a lot of what it looks like I'll require. I am great with looking after my tools and stuff as well.

As to my intentions. I am 100% sure I will be continuing in this field after graduating. I have been out of high school and subsequently university for a few years and know that refrigeration/geothermal and on the technical side of things is where I want to be.

As many of you have said, having a back up will be a good idea so when I do get to getting my HS36 the 379 will still habeas a purpose there.

Thanks again all!

Post Likes
    I just read about the wireless Fluke CNX 3000. I can't think of any reason I would possibly need to measure that much electrical information at the same time or why I would need to know it from 20 feet away.

If they made just one meter that could collect voltage amperage and resistance/continuity at the same time and send the information witlessly to a laptop and I could trend that info I might see a use for that.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    I just read about the wireless Fluke CNX 3000. I can't think of any reason I would possibly need to measure that much electrical information at the same time or why I would need to know it from 20 feet away.

If they made just one meter that could collect voltage amperage and resistance/continuity at the same time and send the information witlessly to a laptop and I could trend that info I might see a use for that.
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, it would appear to me that this meter is able to do what you request. There's an optional PC adapter that would let you take reading from 10 modules at once.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe RBVBD View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, it would appear to me that this meter is able to do what you request. There's an optional PC adapter that would let you take reading from 10 modules at once.
    Maybe I misunderstood what I read but it appeared to me you had to have multiple modules and I was asking for just one meter that could do multiple readings at the same time with a wireless connection to a laptop to log the information.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Thoroughly learn electric fundamentals and learn how to read electrical schematics and practice often young man and most any durable multimeter will work just fine. I can put my Fluke 116 away and use my cheap Ideal and two alligator leads with the same results while troubleshooting. A good quality amp meter is probably more critical then is your mulitmeter.

Post Likes
    HS 36 or Fluke 902 are the most common.

Amprobe makes a decent tool.

I've never had a UEI tool that I thought was worth a damn, so I'd advise you to pass them by.,
    Last edited by bustawrench1; 12-02-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Post Likes
    Fluke 902 first choice. Fieldpiece SC77 second choice. Really can't go wrong with either.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    Fluke 902 first choice. Fieldpiece SC77 second choice. Really can't go wrong with either.
    Except the 902 is worthless for checking millivolts or resistance of thermistors. I had one and it is certainly not an all in one HVAC meter. If you never have to check those things, go for it.

Post Likes
    I've never had to check either. Besides you gotta start somewhere.

Post Likes
    SC77-done. Comes with thermocouple, std leads and shorty alligator clip leads. Will everything you need in one slim, tough meter that can be operated by one hand using your thumb.

Post Likes
    Whatever meter you get, use it for a year and then get the calibration checked. A properly proved meter is worth more than a fancy looking piece that has no traceability. After time, I am just uncomfortable if I don't KNOW that my meter is telling the truth. I have heard from heads of testing labs that the first calibration check after some period of use is the one that finds most of the units that need adjustment. Good units then usually hold up pretty well until needing to be replaced. As to brand, I have had a couple of different units, I like my UEI stuff (259? clamp meter and some others), but I think I am going to Fieldpiece because of the range of add on heads. I really want an amp clamp that is not directly attached to the meter. And believe it or not, I need DC amps, and FP has a head for that. I sometimes have to work on handicap vans.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I remover carrying nothing more then a wiggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    Thoroughly learn electric fundamentals and learn how to read electrical schematics and practice often young man and most any durable multimeter will work just fine. I can put my Fluke 116 away and use my cheap Ideal and two alligator leads with the same results while troubleshooting. A good quality amp meter is probably more critical then is your mulitmeter.
    "Please, Do Not Shoot the Messenger!!!"

"It is not what you Know, but rather, Knowing where to find the answer when you need it"

Post Likes
    Yes as the OP says calibration is definitely very important for meters. Have read a lot about fieldpiece and they do look the business too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in