Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    I have a Fluke 87, Fluke 289, and a Fluke 902. The 902 rides in the tool box so it sees a lot of abuse and use. I have had no trouble with it and only get out one of the other 2 if if need a more exact reading, which does happen.

Normally I would agree with everyone about buying the best meter you can afford but would like to throw out some things for you to think about. CAn you afford to buy 2- $300 meters. Reason I ask is starting out if you have the meter on the wrong setting and blow it up can you afford to replace it for learning purposes. 2nd, I understand you are still in school. What if you get into the field and hate it? Personally I can't imagine why but something else for you to think about. Tools are always a tough decision, lots of options, brands, features, etc. do your homework and don't just rely or he said. Good luck with the career.
    I agree. You can get a used sc77 on fleabay for $50 or so, if you like it, great. If you don't it will make a nice spare or home meter.

I buy 2 or 3 cheap meters at a time, they are always getting used, dropped,wet, etc..., having a spare is a must. I am currently using a $50 craftsman and have no problems with it. Astime goes on you will find what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblo View Post
    I buy 2 or 3 cheap meters at a time, they are always getting used, dropped,wet, etc..., having a spare is a must. I am currently using a $50 craftsman and have no problems with it. Astime goes on you will find what you like.
    I would be scared of those cheap meters. Are they CAT 3 rated and certified by IEC or CE? I wouldn't trust them...

I would not go with a cheap meter from a do it yourself store. Your back up needs to be just as reliable as the one you use. And I also would not buy a meter off of flea bay because there is a safety concern. Would you buy a used rock climbing rope? Would you buy a used hazmat suit? You don't know how it was used. I would not buy into the big name brands. I would go with a Uei 389 phoenix2. It does everything that the other ones can do and more. And I am still a fluke fan.

I have had my Fieldpeice HS36 for 6 years now, which is the same length of time I have been in HVAC. You know why I haven't had to replace it because I am careful with my tools. If you have had to replace a 200 dollar meter more then twice in a 4 year period that is just straight poor care and use of your equipment. I use my meter daily. I even use it on weekends.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I don't really buy a backup meter. When I see a new meter I'm happier with, the old one becomes the backup. The cycle repeats. Though my HS36 has been in the bag for 6 years or so now.

I guess that's not possible when you're new. But just throwing that in there. My old Fluke meter has been in the "extras" bag on my truck for a long time, unused. I should probably check to see if it even works anymore LOL.

I started with and still regularly use an SC56. It's treated me very well. I also have two Flukes and until recently a second Fieldpiece (SC76) that I just sold to a co-worker.

That said, I wish I hadn't started with a brand new meter. I wish I had started by buying something used and more disposable on ebay and saving some $$$.

Had a SC 76 then upgraded to the SC 77. Used that for years then bought a SC 56 which has been used daily since they first came out. Gave the 76 away and keep the 77 in the truck for a back up. Bottom line is fieldpiece makes good meters at a reasonable price.

Uei 379 Phoenix 2

I wouldn't buy the UEi again and read others have similar issues with the Klein versions so its not just me. My next meter will be a Fluke and I should have bought it as my first. Besides probably sill having a working meter I could trust today the money I've dumped over the years on good enough meters that claim to do everything I could have had a Fluke collection going by now.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I wouldn't buy the UEi again and read others have similar issues with the Klein versions so its not just me. My next meter will be a Fluke and I should have bought it as my first. Besides probably sill having a working meter I could trust today the money I've dumped over the years on good enough meters that claim to do everything I could have had a Fluke collection going by now.
    Have you tried the SC56? The Fluke 902 was a huge disappointment for a do it all meter. So far I have not needed anything my SC56 couldn't do. I keep my tool bag as light as possible, don't want to carry 2 meters on every call.

I had trouble with my UEI phoenix, sent it back and got a new one. 1 month later same problems. They don't seem very rugged.

Have you guys looked at the new fluke cnx 3000 wireless stuff? Pricey as expected, but looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Have you tried the SC56? The Fluke 902 was a huge disappointment for a do it all meter. So far I have not needed anything my SC56 couldn't do. I keep my tool bag as light as possible, don't want to carry 2 meters on every call.

I had trouble with my UEI phoenix, sent it back and got a new one. 1 month later same problems. They don't seem very rugged.
    I would never consider a 902 due to the resistance range and now I want 1000V over 600V. The SC56 would be my next choice but didn't want to go down that road again. It was the UEi before that. The usual meters that come up with new features every few years always hook me but on that same track the ones I chose only last a few years. For the money I'm going Fluke next and hopefully end the needing a new meter every few years.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast