Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier 5 Ton Heat Pump - not enough heat, 2nd stage may not be wired in

Post Likes
    If they do not replace the indoor air handler with the Infinity variable speed, get the credit and have them install a single stage outdoor unit. The 2 stage condenser is not rated with a single speed indoor unit. You can verify that by looking at Carrier's Product Data Sheet for the outdoor unit.

Return the Nest if you can. The Infinity stat is much better.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Return the Nest if you can. The Infinity stat is much better.
    What makes it "better?"

I did a little research, and it looks like Carrier has two models that could possibly compete with the Nest.

#1 is the Infinity Control. It prices out at nearly double what I paid for my Nest. And at that price, you don't even get wifi unless you buy a SAM module (and from what little pricing I found is about the cost of the Infinity Control unit). Further, I tried out the demo site for their remote management and it is a joke. I also read somewhere there is a yearly fee to go along with it (not totally sure if that is true or not...I'd sure hope not).

Further, the Infinity Control isn't a learning thermostat. Just another 7 day programmable. It obviously isn't nearly as slick looking though costing far more. From what I'm seeing, you spend a LOT more money and get a lot less.

#2 is the Carrier ComfortChoice Touch Thermostat. Now this DOES look like a real Nest contender. Very nice display, touchscreen, and designed for areas that do electric pricing changes depending on time of day. Where I live, we have AEP for power...an awful power company that has no use in doing things like variable pricing to help load management (and potential savings to customers), so that main feature I couldn't utilize. This thermostat still isn't a learning unit, doesn't look like it can take firmware updates through the wireless interface, and I'm guessing costs a small fortune (couldn't find any pricing info - looks to be a very new product).

The 2nd gen Nest can do 3 stage heating, 2 stage cooling, humidifier or dehumidifier control, zone systems, dual fuel systems, 1 and 2 stage heat pumps. They added a lot to the 2nd gen unit.

Post Likes
    Compete with the nest? Carrier Infinity is on a whole higher level that the Nest can't match in terms of airflow control, system integration and overall comfort control. No, it can anticipate you schedule usign a motion sensor, but if you utilized zone control with properly sized or even undersized equipment, you could see even bigger energy savings. Its' the only modulaing residential zone system (that I'm aware of). Infinity can also connect to a time of use smart electric meter and you can set it's response when on high demand rates. Inifinity is also a "Controller" not a thermostat. It communicates with the equipment like the engine computer in your car. No relays that click. You can see outdoor coil temps, aiflows, static pressure at the air handler/furnace, equipment cycles counter and runtime data in each stage. For dehumidification, it doesn't just drop the fan speed 15-20%. Depending on outdoor conditions and sensible vs. latent demand, it can drop all he way down to around 225CFM/ton with no risk to the equipment. It's pretty impressive. A standard 15-20% drop is 300-325 CFM/ton.

I think a lot of pros on here prefer the Ecobee over the Nest for sommunicating systems. I know is my home that the location that would capture movement on the nest would not be ideal to control temperature because I have an older home with things downstairs called room, formed by interior walls. I have 4 microclimates within my downstairs. Better ot zone control it, which is where the Infinity really, really shines.

Post Likes
    this heat pump is a communicating unit designed to be used with an infinity air handler and matched control, it NEVER should have been used with the Lennox air handler, total disregard for customer as far as allowing this kind of mismatch, ouch! a black eye (again) on our trade

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
    What makes it "better?"

#2 is the Carrier ComfortChoice Touch Thermostat. Now this DOES look like a real Nest contender. Very nice display, touchscreen, and designed for areas that do electric pricing changes depending on time of day. Where I live, we have AEP for power...an awful power company that has no use in doing things like variable pricing to help load management (and potential savings to customers), so that main feature I couldn't utilize. This thermostat still isn't a learning unit, doesn't look like it can take firmware updates through the wireless interface, and I'm guessing costs a small fortune (couldn't find any pricing info - looks to be a very new product).
    Our utility does the energy management system like you are talking about. They currently use energate thermostats for the smarthours program. If you a have smartmeter installed the program may be coming to your utility soon. Some utilities are already offering time of use rates. Other utilities are watching OG&E to see how successful the program is. My job is actually installing and maintaining the thermostats, we have 30,000 installed in our area so far. And best of all the thermostat and installation is FREE to customers signing up for smarthours. It would be interesting to see if any utilities have used ComfortChoice for their VPP program and how they have worked out. The ComfortChoice is a very nice thermostat, I don't see utilities giving them away for free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in