Hybrid View

RUUD UPRL-JEC HEAT PUMP ICING UP

We had a new RUUD communicating system (UPRL-JEC 3 ton heat pump w/ RHPL-HM3621JC air handler) installed a couple of years ago. It has worked fine until this cold season. On a cold night, ice builds up around the upper half & top of the outside unit. It sounds like it is going into a defrost cycle, but the ice remains until the outside temperature rises above freezing the next day.The serviceman has been a couple of times to check it, but can find nothing wrong. He said it was not low in refrigerant. Any suggestions on what the problem could be??

Get a second opinion. You could have a distribution issue with the refrigerant or a check valve not seating. Im not going into detail because i am not on site. Call a pro and make them explain why it is doing what its doing.Could be a few things causing it.

Could be od stat, timer setting, or other. As said you need another opinion.

I will try and get a 2nd opinion, but I live in a rural area and there are not a lot of heating & air contractors in my city.

We had a RPQL that had a STRANGE issue. It would go into defrost but the board wouldn't stop the outdoor fan, so ice built up. Local tech support looked at it and reported to the factory. We ended up having to upgrade this heat pump to a new type of board. If you hear a defrost where the reversing valve makes the woosh sound, see if the outdoor fan stops during the defrost.

OK thanks BaldLoonie for the tip!! I will see if the fan stops when I hear it go into the defrost cycle.

I gave the contractor the information about the outdoor fan could be the problem due running during the defrost cycle. He was happy I gave him this information so he called the Ruud Distributor and they discussed what was happening. He changed out the board last week, but today it is really cold outside and I noticed ice was building up around the top half of the unit again. I called the contractor back and left a message. I will verify with him what kind of board he replaced it with, but I noticed in the post you upgraded the heat pump with a new type of board. What type of new board did you upgrade it too?? I want to give him this information so he can discuss it with the RUUD Distributor. I read the AOP forum rules so hopefully the post will be in accordance with the rules. I definitely am not a DIY type of person, but my contractor really appreciates the information.