+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking about selling York equipment

Post Likes

Thinking about selling York equipment

Im running a residential company part time and have been looking for a manufacturer to team up with. A lot of them require you sell about $50,000 (im not there yet) worth of equipment to sell their products. I found York doesn't and I've been talking to one of their salesmen. I don't have a lot of experience with York, mainly Trane and Carriers. I wanted to get some opinions of York equipment from everybody. If you don't like York do you recommend me teaming up with another company? Or should I just not try to become a dealer at all for anybody? I've been either going back with whatever the customer has or selling cheaper units like GrandAire and one Heil. Thanks for the guidance.

Post Likes
    I like York. They are owned by Johnson Controls now and they have a pretty nice residential and commercial line. Their mod furnace just won consumer digest's best buy and their premium heat pumps are pretty awesome too

Post Likes
    York is okay.

Post Likes
    I like York. Every Brand has thier up's and downs. When I sell RTU I sell York.

I also like Lamp

Post Likes
    I worked for a company that sold LuxAire/York. It seemed okay. We had good support from the wholesaler which was very helpful. They offered alot of training classes.

The big problem (since resolved) was the refrigerant charging was different than the techs were used to. We had a ton of call backs until it was resolved.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    I like York. Every Brand has thier up's and downs. When I sell RTU I sell York.

I also like Lamp

Are you just looking around the room at things and saying you like them?

Post Likes
    It looks like York has a lot to offer the contractor from what I can see on their website.

Post Likes
    My company has been selling York since 1980 when we jumped ship from carrier and have stayed with them. We have shyed away a few times but not bc of the product (they have had a few "dogs" but everyone has) but bc the distributer at the time sucked. We were still considered a dealer at that time but didn't sell much York. When affinity first came out they had problems with evap coils and 2 speed compressors but that has been resolved since manufacturing came back to the us from Mexico. JCI has done a great job rebuilding the brand and perfecting the product line. If m&a supply is the York distributer in your area then I highly recommend them, they have gone above and beyond expectations to back up us "the dealer". IMO there is no better split system than the LX line for value and reliability and York's gas pack is the best out there. The affinity line is a nice too but the price point is a little high IMO when you can get the same or better seer, eer, hspf out of the LX line for A LOT CHEAPER. Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    We used to sell Goodman and Heil. For obvious reasons we dropped goodman and picked up Trane. I am sure you know Heil is an ICP product so has many sister brands and direct relation to Carrier so its base is bigger than it seems. Couldnt be happier with either one! Only issue with Heil is they had a bad run of X13's (as did alot of manufactures) but they seem to have worked it out. We only install Hyperion Trane Airhandlers ; not TAM4's as the price difference with the GAM5 is minimal as it makes a 14 SEER system with even an XB13. Hyperions are a tad more expensive and only issues are size (they are big as are the condenser/heat pump units) compared to other products, doors can be a pain and because its pressurized there are some complaints about air leakage. Also Trane has a great communicating offering, but Heil also just came out with the Observer communicating series but we havnt put one in yet as we have been happy with the GAM8/XL20i (we are in Heat pump country). Sorry I dont have much experience with York, but I havnt heard of any major issues with them. Have you personaly looked into becoming a dealer with trane, carrier ect.. or just going by what you heard on minimum sales? Trane has a great class program to keep everyone up to speed and Ive talked to people who are with smaller companies. Good luck!

Post Likes
    Have you personaly looked into becoming a dealer with trane, carrier ect.. or just going by what you heard on minimum sales? Trane has a great class program to keep everyone up to speed and Ive talked to people who are with smaller companies. Good luck![/QUOTE]

With Trane i talked to the counter guys and had my boss talk to his salesman about it. The answer seems to be to get access to the good equipment i must sign up to sell 50,000 and if I dont meet that ill loose the dealer. Theyve been dropping some companies in my area who didnt meet it and they are a lot larger than me.
    I talked to the Heil distributor and they just became dealer only with the same $50,000 requirement, but he said he would work with me on that somehow.
    I guess the reason I jumped from Heil to York is I think York has better name recognition. I dont sell much equipment right now anyway, but im hoping getting behind a good name with good resources for the contractor will increase my sales a little.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I have been a Luxaire/York dealer for years. I have found the product quality to be very good other than a rash of evaporator coil failures which ran across many brands.

Johnson controls is very committed to building a quality product.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Im supposed to meet with the salesman this week. Those of you who run a business are there any specific questions I should ask? Ive got a lot of stuff in mind, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    All the modern York stuff I have run into in the field seems pretty solid. The furnaces seem to be top notch.

The rotary compressors they were using in the cheap outdoor units sucked though. I replaced a few burnouts and put Copeland recips in every one. Don't know if they are still using them.

As previously mentioned, they had a run of horrible coils, but they stood behind them and paid dealers to replace them

Post Likes
    How difficult is it to become a dealer? We have a small HVAC company, my father and I and when we do an install we just buy the equipment from local supply houses. Were a licensed company. What is the advantage and disadvantage of a dealer of a particular company? example trane, york, goodman ..etc... We typically just suggest a model or the customer asks for something and we get it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sto2299001 View Post
    How difficult is it to become a dealer? We have a small HVAC company, my father and I and when we do an install we just buy the equipment from local supply houses. Were a licensed company. What is the advantage and disadvantage of a dealer of a particular company? example trane, york, goodman ..etc... We typically just suggest a model or the customer asks for something and we get it.
    The short answer to that is "thats what im trying to find out."

Ive been doing like you. Ive mainly just replaced units with what the customer already had. I just had some customers who really pushed for my opinion on what was the best or what i recommended. That made me want to really educate myself on what was offered, mainly the selling points and specifics. I figured that would be easier if I found one brand to stand behind and from that train of thought i should try to find the dealer who can offer me the most if im going to recommend them to customers. Ive found that York has a lot to offer the contractor like financial help with advertisement, financing for your customers and training. Including business training and technical training. To be fair I havent educated myself on what the others offer because im always hit with the "youve got to sell X amount of product if you want to sell Trane, Carrier, Heil, etc.."

Post Likes
    One thing I have noticed tonight looking at other major brands (Heil, Trane, Lennox and Rheem) is the York website is the most user friendly for the contreactor. Tons of info on what they offer.

Post Likes
    The company I work for has been a York dealer for around 12 years now. They have had some problems. The previosly mentioned and you really have to watch your charge on the newer condensors. the latest problem is the clear plastic collector box on the TG9 furn. cracks. We just recieved 75 revised collector boxes. Johnson controls is working hard to maintain a good product line and our distributor has been great.

Post Likes
    the york affinity heat pumps are nice although they are not forgiving on low air flow so check ductwork before installing

Post Likes
    Being a small shop myself, I picked up Fraser johnston (york) as my go to. I have been very impressed with the equipment. Easy to become dealer, and awesome tech support from my supplier!
    I offer Ameristar as my base line.
    Currently, I only do 10% resi/90% refrigeration, so having no quota is a big plus!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in