Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So we decided to go with a Trane 80% unit. Were debating wether we go with a XL80 or a XV80? Is there variable speed worth the money or necessary for the amount were going to use it?

Also I have had 4 estimates and 3 of them are different BTU pumps (40k, 50k and 60k) shouldn't they all becoming up with the same calculation for BTUs?

You must mean they have a wall furnace in the living room. In your area you have 2 choices . You can cut in a attic furnace or depending on the area and codes you can do a roof top. I would forgo the 90% and go with a 80% VS 2 stage system. I would install a Honeywell wireless T stat so your mom and Dad can control temps in any area of the house with the remote .They can also view outside temps and hum levels from same easy to use stat. I assume you have a attic and it is old school construction so more then likely the attic access hatch will need to be enlarged. You may be right about the AC, however check the temps last year I think you have been in the 90's more then a few days for the past couple of years . Take some of the savings from 90 + % and possibly apply it to AC. We did 2 jobs in that area for friends of people we did jobs in my area and they both went with AC. Rheem is good but the install trumps the brand in most cases .

Quote Originally Posted by wjelmer View Post
    So we decided to go with a Trane 80% unit. Were debating wether we go with a XL80 or a XV80? Is there variable speed worth the money or necessary for the amount were going to use it?

Also I have had 4 estimates and 3 of them are different BTU pumps (40k, 50k and 60k) shouldn't they all becoming up with the same calculation for BTUs?
    This depends on sf of house and heat loads like windows, insulation things like that. In genseral VS is the way to go . I would under size before I would over size.

Quote Originally Posted by wjelmer View Post

I am not sure you'll ever get a consensus within 10%.
    I'll give you 41,000 today and 36,000 tomorrow.
    Wednesday .. who knows? 39,999.

Just something I picked up from mitt a few months ago.
    However, the something is ... The Lunatic on the Potomac INSANITY.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12