Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

I think we have a problem here.

Got a call from customer that their freezer was running warm. Got there and found this and of corse evaporator coil frozen solid. Put into defrost and noticed that it was not draining and drain line heater did not have power. Looked all around kitchen and found breaker shut off, (unmarked of corse), that controlled both light and outlet for drain heater. Once switch on all worked sit should and after thawing coil was operating properly. Hate it when customer switches breakers off without knowing what they control.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes armandomartinez liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What caused this, was the defrost timer motor running/turning? guessing they removed the metal cover on the timer to close the access door. I see you still at least have the plastic cover for the electrical hookups so there is some protection from the metal access cover sparking against the wires. Isn't the original position of that timer would be by your compressor contactor electrical panel. Why so many pressure controls, OK I get that one may be a head pressure control looks like they stuffed 10 lbs of sand in a 5 lb bag in regards to the timer and pressure control location

4. Likes DDCSD liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sledhead18 View Post
    noticed that it was not draining and drain line heater did not have power. Looked all around kitchen and found breaker shut off, (unmarked of corse), that controlled both light and outlet for drain heater. Once switch on all worked sit should and after thawing coil was operating properly. Hate it when customer switches breakers off without knowing what they control.
    He states this is the reason for the ice up. Not draining, causing condensate to freezer to the bottom of the coil and start a complete coil freeze up.

Post Likes
    Might want to change that drier before it starts leaking.

Post Likes
    I personally don't believe the plugged drain line causing the complete indoor coil icing and all the way back to the compressor, yes part of your lower indoor coil will be frozen that sits in water level due to not draining. To me it could easily be a dirty coil, bad defrost timer motor ( not turning ) not long enough defrost time, not enough frequency defrost, metering device issue, refrigerant charge issue, possible the breaker that was off or tripped also controlled the heater strips, or your defrost heating element is not working. The heating element is Embedded into the coil from top to bottom and end to end so when in defrost it should still defrost most of the coil.

As mentioned by pecmsg change drier and replace flare site glass with sweat site glass being careful not to overheat it to cause site glass wet/ dry color spot damage. That type of site glass has a spin off type glass element with a rubber grommet type gasket ,which has a tendency to leak along with the flare nuts

8. Likes trippintl0 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don't get leaks on my flares.Maybe I'm lucky. Change the SGMI and the LLFD, and I use flares devices ALL the time.I change A LOT of LLFD a second time and even a third time on some. That happens only w/ new customers, not my normal customers. A freezer comp is not made for using a Fan Cycle Control .What are the dual "dual press controls" for?

Post Likes
    Probably won't be allowed to change anything on it unless it fails, some customers don't/can't afford to replace stuff, as long as it is limping along, so it shall stay.

11. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The original control was probably brazed in so they just left it there, thats the one thing I can't understand is why so many guys leave them on instead of pinching it off and sealing it.........remove it, tidy up for cripe sakes!
    Teach the Gospel daily and if necessary use words.

13. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If the suction line looks like that, I would hate to see what the indoor coil looked like, apparently no one seemed to notice anything wrong until they noticed the box temperature rising. Somewhat surprised the indoor fan blades where not hitting the ice built up to notify them of issues.

15. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    If the suction line looks like that, I would hate to see what the indoor coil looked like, apparently no one seemed to notice anything wrong until they noticed the box temperature rising. Somewhat surprised the indoor fan blades where not hitting the ice built up to notify them of issues.
    Apparently they didn't notice the lights were off!

17. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Believe it. I just worked on a large commercial freezer with forklift traffic doorway. The drain heater quit. The ice dam formed in the drain pan, the ice buildup snapped the pan heater element, which was wired in series for the bottom heater, so the ice dam continued to build its way up the coil.

No fun trying to get rid of ice that thick on an industrial evaporator over a doorway for forklifts. Had to bring in a 30 foot lift and work after hours...

Post Likes
    The timer cover was removed to check operation. Ans there was a louvered panel thats sitting on top. Believe it or not the fans did operate without interference from ice as the heating elements kept ice from building up to stop fans. Should have seen the amount water that came from defrosting the coil. Customer is extremely thrift and only wants things to be fixed to work thats all.

Post Likes
    My customers don't know very much refrigeration, so, there is no way in hell that "they" can tell me pricing. This "is" refrigeration and "this" is the price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast