Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coleman Fan Problem

I have a customer with a EB17C Air Handler. I replaced the Blower Motor (failed due to dirty filter, no air flow). Now I can only get it to run with the stat set in FAN ON. In auto and call for heat, the Blower Relay energizes, but the motor doesn"t run. This is screwy I know, but I've got to be missing something. The heating coils are working fine, just have to leave blower on. Any ideas are welcome. John

How many blower speeds are connected? I'd check the wiring again. On an electric furnace the blower is usually energized from a sequencer in heating mode.

Two speeds are connected. 1 heat, 1 fan. No AC on unit. I'm goinig to go back and check wiring again for about the 40th time. When I find the problem, I'll never forget it! This is what keeps this trade from being boring!! John

Did you try running the old blower motor by using fan on. If not, the old motor may be ok, and this problem is what you saw with the old motor.

Just some food for thought.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thats a good thought, The old motor was seized. I'm thinking about changing the wire ends on the leads, maybe a bad crimp?

Doubt it.
    Contractor locator map

You say the blower relay is energized but is it passing the voltage through. Is the relay the only device that energizes the blower?
    Last edited by welling service; 11-28-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: add thought

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related...510%20EB-D.pdf

so this appears to be the wiring diagram for your unit.

do you have 2 speeds hooked up and what speed is running and how do you know, amp draw?
    Last edited by pacnw; 11-28-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

"When room thermostat calls for heat, 24-volt power is supplied to the
    heating element switches. As soon as the first heating element switch
    closes, the blower starts and power is supplied to the first heating element.
    Each additional element is staged on in successive intervals.
    When the room thermostat is satisfied and no more heat is required, the
    elements sequence off in the reverse order and the blower will then turn
    off."

maybe I never came across this before or just did not realize it, but with this set up which fan speed is running in heat mode?

is stat energizing blower relay in heat call or is the sequencer the control?

I might be confused here, as I was taught W also energizes G in electric units, do not think I have specifically checked this or come across it before.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Fan is energized off the first sequencer. And only runs at one speed for the heat call no matter how many elements are energized. The fan speed is what ever tap was set for heating.
    Contractor locator map

Sounds like the blower relay is bad or mis-wired, not putting power through the N/C terminal of the relay when the sequencer switches on.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Have you tested the sequencer(s) yet?

Thanks for the replies. I won't be able to go back on this one till next week, the HO is out of town. The wiring diagram link pacnw posted may help since it is easier to read than the one on the unit. The relay is energized, making me think it may be a loose connection. Will post back after I've checked everything again. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast