+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leak where suction line penetrates compressor housing

Post Likes
    You could silver braze every connection and never have a problem other than the price difference from SilFos to 15% silver solder. Flux is not a problem when applied properly. Put it on the male fitting only. Use silver solder paste flux with SilFos when you have a dirty fitting as well. By this I mean when you have to follow up on a previous weld that is contaminated with refrig oil from a leak or wasn't perfect from the start. The silver solder paste covers a myriad of sins along with its' designed purpose.

Post Likes
    Any news? Did you fix the leak?:thumbup:

Post Likes
    Here is the picture of the compressor at HP line where the leak was found. I sanded the area and picked up some %45 satefy-silv and white flux. I was thinking of attemping this tonight. Do I really need to do an intert gas purge?Name:  IMG_7711[1].jpg
Views: 519
Size:  51.8 KB

Post Likes
    If you are going to torch it, you'll have to pull the compressor out of the system and lay it on the opposite side or you will never get it hot enough as the oil level is close to or even above your repair site. You do not want to "coke" the oil either by burning it.
    Remember to let the compressor sit for a few hours after re-installation and prior to starting it to ensure the oil drains out of the internal suction port as the compressor will not chew liquid happily.

Also keep in mind that as you heat the shell of the compressor, the inside of the shell may get hot enough that the radiant heat may bake the laminate off the closest motor windings enough that two windings may short together. I would use a serious heat source such as oxy-acetyle
    ne to reduce the amount of time that the shell is hot. This will also help your weld.

Defininitely use nitrogen to purge as you weld. It will be better for the system and keep moisture out if you do it right.

I still think you should try the epoxy...save yourself a lot of work and possible damage to the system and/or the compressor.

Good luck either way!

Post Likes
    How much is a new compressor ? Might be the best long term solution if price is right.

Post Likes
    Make sure you have some type of vibration isolation. Otherwise you will have the same problem again.

Post Likes
    Don't worry about the heat if you are using an oxy/acet rig. get in with the heat and get out. I wouldn't worry about a purge gas either, doesn't hurt but I wouldn't worry about it. Use a wet rag to cool off. And I would at least quote a new compressor, you have done your honest attempt but there might be more problems down the road. Also no need to a vibration absorber, they didn't come on it originally, if it is shaking that bad the compressor needs to be changed.
    Another point if this is MP39, this dates this unit and the customer needs to know that in the long run this is on its way out. I am sure the whole thing has seen better days.

And on the topis of solder, my company uses 5%. It is cheaper, but if you clean your joints and use white flux when needed it works fine. But we do carry 50/50 for those dis-similar metals.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bridge View Post
    Don't worry about the heat if you are using an oxy/acet rig. get in with the heat and get out. I wouldn't worry about a purge gas either, doesn't hurt but I wouldn't worry about it. Use a wet rag to cool off. And I would at least quote a new compressor, you have done your honest attempt but there might be more problems down the road. Also no need to a vibration absorber, they didn't come on it originally, if it is shaking that bad the compressor needs to be changed.
    Another point if this is MP39, this dates this unit and the customer needs to know that in the long run this is on its way out. I am sure the whole thing has seen better days.

And on the topis of solder, my company uses 5%. It is cheaper, but if you clean your joints and use white flux when needed it works fine. But we do carry 50/50 for those dis-similar metals.
    What white flux are you all talking about? I have seen people posting about it on here for years and never mention a brand. Will regular flux work?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Post Likes
    Harris stay silv brazing flux.
    Brush-in-can apply on male fitting join and braze with silver bearing solder of your choice.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355360118992.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355360099199.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  8.9 KB

Post Likes
    You can seriously make MAGIC happen with white flux and 15!

Post Likes
    Name:  1213120947.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  52.1 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkahuna View Post
    Harris stay silv brazing flux.
    Brush-in-can apply on male fitting join and braze with silver bearing solder of your choice.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355360118992.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  8.5 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355360099199.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  8.9 KB
    Don't the manu's say not to use flux on 410a? Seemed like the cleaning properties carry the flux off and clog the txv or cause waxing, etc.

Just had a brain fart. Is it 410a or POE oil that acts as a cleaning agent in the lines?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Post Likes
    POE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in