Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made in America

Made in America

If you wanted to compete with Wal- Mart would it be a good Idea to advertise that 90% of what you sell is made in America ? Say K Mart / Sears decided to reorganize, and attracted investors on the premise of MADE IN AMERICA. They remodeled their stores and started a huge marketing program of made in America . Would you shop there over Wal Mart, or even a Target Would you think in this business climate that this would be a good Idea ?? just dreaming what do you think ? would made in America get you in the store ?

I would be willing to take a look at a made in America store. But if I went in and saw I had to pay twice as much for the same quality then I would walk right out. If all things are equal, I would buy American, but in the end I will buy what I think is the best value for my money.

You also have to consider that made in America doesn't always mean better. Look at what happened to the american auto industy. The Japs kicked our asses in quality and americans abandoned american cars in droves.

Made in USA

Quote Originally Posted by Roncool View Post
    would made in America get you in the store ?
    I think this is an interesting idea. Sadly, they would likely have problems finding enough products to stock the store with, since the manufacturing of so many things has been shipped out of our country. I know that there would be very little in the way of electronics and toys....

Personally, I do try to buy USA made products when available and the price differential isn't too great. I'm usually willing to pay a 10%-15% surcharge on items made in the USA if they are of equal or better quality. Sometimes more if the quality is much better (e.g. hand tools).

Maybe getting a chain store to do something like this could bring some manufacturing back. We need to do something besides grow the government!
    Last edited by jrevans; 11-27-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo

Perhaps I am raising the bar on the 90% made in America rule for my make believe store . Perhaps 30% of products would need to be made outside of America. It seems to me that we could make it here as cheep as overseas as shipping product from over seas can not be cheep. I would think some of that cost could be recovered by not having product shipped from over seas. I would also think that the fed government could step in to help by introducing tax advances to making a product here at home, and by relaxing some regulations. I also think the largest impediment to this would be mis guided Unions and misguided union membership that still think unions help rather then hurt our economy.

Ironically, if you look you will find Made in America products available in Walmart. Just sayin....
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Ironically, if you look you will find Made in America products available in Walmart. Just sayin....
    Yup, Walmart does have some Made in USA stuff, and I do try to look for those products. I recently was buying some socks there and noticed that with the ones that I was looking at, there were packs with identical brand name, description and barcode, but different three different countries of manufacture available. I dug through the pile and bought two packs of the made in USA ones.

It seems like we still make some big plastic things in the USA. I think that Blitz makes their gas containers, ramps and stuff in the USA. Maybe shipping cost factors in more for larger, lighter items?

I wonder if the Mary Jane growers in Humbolt County CA. put a "Grown in America" sticker on their baggies would it increase sales?
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

T-shirts and tennis shoes could be made on the frikkin moon. I couldn't care less. Made in USA used to mean manufactured products like pipe fittings, (Thailand, China now)...Manhole covers, silverware, tools for christ's sake used to be made here. We didn't need China to supply us. If we are not a self-sufficient country, what are we? Screwed. Obama is the biggest phillips head we ever elected. And he couldn't be happier to return the favor.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

made in the usa

Why stick to "Made in the the USA". Let's make is better "Made in the USA and owned by Americans". This way we keep the profit here.
    Last edited by ararams; 11-27-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: remove not

Make it here

Quote Originally Posted by ararams View Post
    Why stick to "Made in the the USA". Let's make is better "Made in the USA and owned by Americans". This way we keep the profit here.
    That's even better, but for now I'd settle for "Made in the USA" just to get people back to work!

I've met a lot of people in Kentucky who work for Toyota, and even though their company profits go back to Japan, the wage earners in the USA are definitely helping out our economy. It really is sad to see how much manufacturing has gone out of the country, especially hard goods like tunnel_rat mentioned.

I'm a railfan who is interested in heavy industry, and it's sad to see the amount of manufacturing infrastructure abandoned and crumbling across our great country. We need to be both producers and consumers, or we're going to be in a world of hurt. (We may already be there....)

Quote Originally Posted by jrevans View Post
    It seems like we still make some big plastic things in the USA. I think that Blitz makes their gas containers, ramps and stuff in the USA. Maybe shipping cost factors in more for larger, lighter items?
    Rubbermaid makes a lot of their products domestically. I think that size and weight are factors in shipping. A large, lightweight object equates to wasted space on a cargo ship, because they make their money on tonnage. Unless they can charge an inflated rate for large, lightweight goods, it's not worth it for them to ship it.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

it was taken from us like candy from a baby... you all ready to get your candy butt's up and take it back ? ill be the first in line. but it better last this time
    read,learn,grow.....repeat.

I worked on U.S. merchant tankers for 10 years. Although I never worked on a containership, I believe rates are so much per container. Weight isn't much of a factor to ships because ships can carry huge weights very efficiently. I could be wrong, but I think this is the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast