Thread: Are Media Filters really worth the added expense

Post Likes

Question Are Media Filters really worth the added expense

Hello. I have a 1.5 story home in Long Island NY and am having a central air conditioning system put in. I'm getting the infinity system (condenser/AH/Thermostat). Ductwork is being added as I'm writing you and the installer has asked me if I want a media filter added instead of a filter grill. He is recommending a Aprilaire 2210. I have 2 small children, but no allergies and have a cat & dog. Are they really worth the added expense? Price is reasonable after reviewing some other estimates I received.

Post Likes
    Here is the way I see it. Manufacturers recommend changing the filter once a month with a good filter they go for abut 6 bucks around here at the hardware store, times 12 months and you spent $72 and had to deal with the filter every month. The Aprilaire will last a year, the replacement is less than the 12 -1" filters and is a better filter.

Check filter prices in your area and do your own math.

Post Likes
    The filter is primarily for keeping the indoor coil clean. I recommend a 4" or 5" media filter, NOT a 1" pleated filter because they restrict the air flow. Since you have pets (which I assume shed hair), I suggest installing a standard 1" fiberglass filter ahead of the extended media filter. The 1" filter will catch the big stuff and extend the life of the expensive filter.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies! The guy here says I don't need the 1" filter with the Media filter he would add by the AH. Should I just say add it anyway as you (kdean1) recommends. This is ac only so I don't expect to have the unit running for more than 5 months at most a year.

Post Likes
    Yes. A cheaper media cabinet like a Trion Air Bear works great and aren't that expensive. I've always added one to ever system I've owned or had installed. The filters last 6-12 months depending on conditions and you benefit from lower static pressure. With a VS fan, it might save you 20-50 Watts whenever the fan is running. If you saved just 30 Watts and ran the fan 24-7, that's $26 per year @ $0.10/kw-hr.

+1 on filter savings. Even if you only changed the 1" filter every 3 months, you're break even or ahead. Even after 12 months, if you have a smaller 2 ton systme and a larger 20x25x5 media filter, it will probably still be less restrictive than a new 1" filter unless you have a lot of pets and a large family with returns near the floor. How much you use a good vacuum cleaner makes a big difference.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsyboy View Post
    Thanks for the replies! The guy here says I don't need the 1" filter with the Media filter he would add by the AH. Should I just say add it anyway as you (kdean1) recommends. This is ac only so I don't expect to have the unit running for more than 5 months at most a year.
    Again, I say yes to the 1" pre-filter. The purpose is to catch the big dirt before it loads up the expensive media filter. So you spend $4-6/year for the 1" filters and it doubles (or more) the life of the media filter. Your installer is right, sort of. You don't NEED the 1" filter but it WILL benefit you.

Post Likes
    I agree with your HVAC guy. Do not install a 1" filter. It makes no sense.

Post Likes
    Hello. I have a 1.5 story home in Long Island NY and am having a central air conditioning system put in. I'm getting the infinity system (condenser/AH/Thermostat). Ductwork is being added as I'm writing you and the installer has asked me if I want a media filter added instead of a filter grill. He is recommending a Aprilaire 2210. I have 2 small children, but no allergies and have a cat & dog. Are they really worth the added expense? Price is reasonable after reviewing some other estimates I received.
    The reason why a hi-eff. filter is needed is for the increased surface area (less restriction) and it'll help quiet the air noise.

But that said, the right size ductwork and return air grille is necessary (critical) also.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I agree with your HVAC guy. Do not install a 1" filter. It makes no sense.
    +1

and don't put a second filter in the system. the media filter will be fine.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input guys!

Post Likes
    A 1" pleated filter before a media filter will grossly increase the restriction.

Here's an example. Our system is set for 1600 CFM. We have a 20x25 Aprilaire cabinet with currently the media from the 2210 installed.

I found it rather disgustingly dirty last year but before changing it, took a digital manometer to the system to check restriction. Techs will understand this. I had a static pressure drop of .29" over the dirty media. A clean media was .23" so this dirty filter was able to hold all that crud and not kill my airflow.

By comparison, I put a 20x25x1 pleated filter in place of the media. CLEAN, drop was .50" or over DOUBLE the restriction of the clean media. You get a little fine dust built up on a 1" pleated and you'll have the furnace shutting down on overheat or a heat pump compressor being protected by a head pressure switch.

Moral of story, the 1" pleated filters are very restrictive clean and horribly restrictive dirty. The Aprilaire 213 media isn't very restrictive clean and hardly any more dirty plus the pickup is so much better on tiny particles. A 1" is typically MERV 7 vs the MERV 13 of the Aprilaire.

Post Likes
    Yes, I think they are. They are much better for the air flow, which can cause all kinds of problems if not correct.

Post Likes
    I agree with others, the larger pleated filter such as the 2210 "air bear" style would be the way to go. We have a LOT of calls from folks using 1" filters and either using the restrictive pleated 1" or simply not changing them at all. The large media pleated will accept more abuse than a 1" and still work simply because the large amount of surface area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Again, I say yes to the 1" pre-filter. The purpose is to catch the big dirt before it loads up the expensive media filter. So you spend $4-6/year for the 1" filters and it doubles (or more) the life of the media filter. Your installer is right, sort of. You don't NEED the 1" filter but it WILL benefit you.
    I agree.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    We install a 4" pleated MERV 11 filter(Honeywell F100) on every job, it greatly reduces our warranties because most of them are due to not changing filters often enough or inadequate filtration.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    A 1" pleated filter before a media filter will grossly increase the restriction.
    X2

By adding a prefilter to a media cleaner you have effectively missed out on the benefit of the aprilaire. (Airflow)

I used to always install one myself until I finally figured out I was simulating a dirty coil trying to keep it clean.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    X2

By adding a prefilter to a media cleaner you have effectively missed out on the benefit of the aprilaire. (Airflow)

I used to always install one myself until I finally figured out I was simulating a dirty coil trying to keep it clean.
    I don't recall anyone here who advised placing a pleated filter before a media filter. The advice was to install a cheap fiberglass filter before the media filter to help extend the life of the media filter.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in