Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,942

    The Movie"Lincoln"

    S_ucks.

    That is all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    1,439
    Figures. Lincoln never did well in theaters.

    Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    656
    Thanks exreo. I was wondering if it was any good.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,253
    I overheard two people talking the other night saying it was great, a shoe in for an Academy Award.

    I look at who produced it and wonder how historically accurate it really is. Lincoln was not a good President.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I overheard two people talking the other night saying it was great, a shoe in for an Academy Award.

    I look at who produced it and wonder how historically accurate it really is. Lincoln was not a good President.
    I agree that Lincoln was not a good president. He was responsible for a civil war that killed 650,000 people and probably maimed 2 million over the issue of slavery? Yes slavery was bad, but this civil war was the only way to resolve it? That's why Lincoln was a failed president IMHO. I don't know why he is deserving of being on a $5 bill. The whole movie has the liberal bias of the horribly bad white man being so mean to the black man. There is almost no action, and the whole movie is only about trying to get the amendment passed in the congress.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,253
    Lincoln did more worse things than the Civil War. For one, he suspended the writs of Habeous Corpus and gave the finger to the Supreme Court when the deemed it unconstitutional, setting in motion many more Presidents trampling on the Constitution.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,965
    First, the civil war was NOT about slavery; it was about Northern Bankers ripping off Southern Plantation Agri-businessmen. The history books have been re-written with the lie of slavery to keep the racial card hot... so polecats can use it to deceive voters. Truth be known, there was MORE slavery and MORE abuse in Northern states than in the South.
    And even today... the North (read that liberals) still keeps minorities down... just subversively.

    As to the movie... I have not seen it... however read a review about it on a private economic newsletter; Bottom line: it is VERY liberal leaning, and VERY non historically accurate.
    GA's opinion: While the movie was made under a free enterprise system, I suspect if one dug around (read that do some googling) they would find it was financed by folks who have a liberal agenda. Anyone care to do the research?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    First, the civil war was NOT about slavery; it was about Northern Bankers ripping off Southern Plantation Agri-businessmen. The history books have been re-written with the lie of slavery to keep the racial card hot... so polecats can use it to deceive voters. Truth be known, there was MORE slavery and MORE abuse in Northern states than in the South.
    And even today... the North (read that liberals) still keeps minorities down... just subversively.

    As to the movie... I have not seen it... however read a review about it on a private economic newsletter; Bottom line: it is VERY liberal leaning, and VERY non historically accurate.
    GA's opinion: While the movie was made under a free enterprise system, I suspect if one dug around (read that do some googling) they would find it was financed by folks who have a liberal agenda. Anyone care to do the research?
    I think you're right. Speilburg is probably as whacko left as they come in Hollywood.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,493
    The one where he was a vampire killer was better

    Especially in 3-D

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    As to the movie... I have not seen it... however read a review about it on a private economic newsletter
    Ah yes, economic newsletters. Always the source to turn to for penetrating, insightful, cogent movie reviews.

    Their movie review columns are a must read for evey movie-goer.



    it is VERY liberal leaning, and VERY non historically accurate.
    GA's opinion: While the movie was made under a free enterprise system, I suspect if one dug around (read that do some googling) they would find it was financed by folks who have a liberal agenda. Anyone care to do the research?
    Surely you already have this information sitting in your inbox. You need only cut and paste another one of your enjoyable if hysterical pass-along e-mails.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,225
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    I agree that Lincoln was not a good president. He was responsible for a civil war that killed 650,000 people and probably maimed 2 million over the issue of slavery? Yes slavery was bad, but this civil war was the only way to resolve it? That's why Lincoln was a failed president IMHO. I don't know why he is deserving of being on a $5 bill. The whole movie has the liberal bias of the horribly bad white man being so mean to the black man. There is almost no action, and the whole movie is only about trying to get the amendment passed in the congress.


    just curious? What would you have done to end slavery? what could anyone have done????
    BEING AN ADULT

    is the dumbest thing I have ever done

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,965
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post


    just curious? What would you have done to end slavery? what could anyone have done????
    I am sure I will get flamed for this...

    I would have let the South go... and let the forces of the market place decide which country ended up taking over the other...

    I guarantee you the result would have been a tougher and stronger USA!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,649
    At the risk of disagreeing with GA, there was most certainly NOT more slavery and abuse in the North. It is correct to say, however, that the war was not about slaves. Rather, it was thier version of class warfare, more or less. The South had no more fear of free men than I do of green energy. The issue was how to resolve the injustice without collapsing thier economy.

    There was a huge difference in economics between the North and South. It was easy for a northern industrialist to say he was against slavery because he was no where near as dependant on them, especially given the fact that they had the money to hire former slaves. The Southern farmers thought it was a bunch of out-of-touch rich fat cats making demands with regards to a situation that they only had a tunnel-vision view of; thier own.

    The war was about the freedom to persue the matter as they saw fit. Not the retention of slaves.

    As for the movie, hollywood is rarely history. To be fair, the movie does not make a claim of historical authenticity. It is what we call historical fiction, one of my mom's favorite genres of literature.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event