Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 40

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,947

    The Movie"Lincoln"

    S_ucks.

    That is all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    1,439
    Figures. Lincoln never did well in theaters.

    Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,654
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Figures. Lincoln never did well in theaters.

    Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2
    D:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,425
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Figures. Lincoln never did well in theaters.

    Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2
    LOL!

    How was the play otherwise, Mrs. Lincoln.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Figures. Lincoln never did well in theaters.

    Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2
    good one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    660
    Thanks exreo. I was wondering if it was any good.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,275
    I overheard two people talking the other night saying it was great, a shoe in for an Academy Award.

    I look at who produced it and wonder how historically accurate it really is. Lincoln was not a good President.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I overheard two people talking the other night saying it was great, a shoe in for an Academy Award.

    I look at who produced it and wonder how historically accurate it really is. Lincoln was not a good President.
    I agree that Lincoln was not a good president. He was responsible for a civil war that killed 650,000 people and probably maimed 2 million over the issue of slavery? Yes slavery was bad, but this civil war was the only way to resolve it? That's why Lincoln was a failed president IMHO. I don't know why he is deserving of being on a $5 bill. The whole movie has the liberal bias of the horribly bad white man being so mean to the black man. There is almost no action, and the whole movie is only about trying to get the amendment passed in the congress.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    I agree that Lincoln was not a good president. He was responsible for a civil war that killed 650,000 people and probably maimed 2 million over the issue of slavery? Yes slavery was bad, but this civil war was the only way to resolve it? That's why Lincoln was a failed president IMHO. I don't know why he is deserving of being on a $5 bill. The whole movie has the liberal bias of the horribly bad white man being so mean to the black man. There is almost no action, and the whole movie is only about trying to get the amendment passed in the congress.


    just curious? What would you have done to end slavery? what could anyone have done????
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,188
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post


    just curious? What would you have done to end slavery? what could anyone have done????
    I am sure I will get flamed for this...

    I would have let the South go... and let the forces of the market place decide which country ended up taking over the other...

    I guarantee you the result would have been a tougher and stronger USA!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,658
    At the risk of disagreeing with GA, there was most certainly NOT more slavery and abuse in the North. It is correct to say, however, that the war was not about slaves. Rather, it was thier version of class warfare, more or less. The South had no more fear of free men than I do of green energy. The issue was how to resolve the injustice without collapsing thier economy.

    There was a huge difference in economics between the North and South. It was easy for a northern industrialist to say he was against slavery because he was no where near as dependant on them, especially given the fact that they had the money to hire former slaves. The Southern farmers thought it was a bunch of out-of-touch rich fat cats making demands with regards to a situation that they only had a tunnel-vision view of; thier own.

    The war was about the freedom to persue the matter as they saw fit. Not the retention of slaves.

    As for the movie, hollywood is rarely history. To be fair, the movie does not make a claim of historical authenticity. It is what we call historical fiction, one of my mom's favorite genres of literature.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post


    just curious? What would you have done to end slavery? what could anyone have done????
    I would have made the life of a slave a paradise in the north compared to the south. I would have given perks to companies that hired slaves at white working man's wages. All the slaves in the south would have bolted for the good jobs in the north. Then I would put a 10-year moratorium on any more blacks coming to America by ship from Africa. That would have the effect in the south of either the white guys picking their own cotton or else giving decent wages and working conditions to slaves.

    I thought all the libs (not you because I believe you're a conservative) say we can't legislate morality? How can we legislate blacks being equal to whites then?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    I would have made the life of a slave a paradise in the north compared to the south. I would have given perks to companies that hired slaves at white working man's wages. All the slaves in the south would have bolted for the good jobs in the north. Then I would put a 10-year moratorium on any more blacks coming to America by ship from Africa. That would have the effect in the south of either the white guys picking their own cotton or else giving decent wages and working conditions to slaves.

    I thought all the libs (not you because I believe you're a conservative) say we can't legislate morality? How can we legislate blacks being equal to whites then?
    Interesting idea. what do you think a Plantation owner would have done to his slaves if he knew they would attempt to run north. I mean worse than what many plantation owners did anyway. I think there would have been MANY more deaths.

    Morality is a God given thing. It can't be legislated. But a Government can pass laws making it illegal to abuse other people. Enforcement is a whole other ball game.
    The Last four letters


    American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats


    any questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event