Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Dry Nitro... who'd thunk it.

Thanks...

Don't think it's important enough for me to pull the panels apart to access the evap but I may try the DN just for grins.

Will report back.
    The panel is super easy unless freezer is fully loaded. Just one lower cover.

Doesnt the label have a charge amount ?
    It should tell how much to put in it and the spun drier will have charge info as well.
    As for adding nitrogen to the system, IImagine someone misunderstood when to add the nitrogen, as in while brazing. Nitrogen is a noncondensible, and is never used to charge a refrigeration system. It would likely gather in the top of the condenser and take up valueable space

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    The addition of Nitrogen raises the back pressure without adding refrigerant, causing frost to
    form on suction line.

LOL
    Hehe good catch. I will tell him about that.

It should read WHICH WOULD cause suction line to frost.

Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    Doesnt the label have a charge amount ?
    It should tell how much to put in it and the spun drier will have charge info as well.
    As for adding nitrogen to the system, IImagine someone misunderstood when to add the nitrogen, as in while brazing. Nitrogen is a noncondensible, and is never used to charge a refrigeration system. It would likely gather in the top of the condenser and take up valueable space
    Did you read the bulletin that was just posted?

It specifically gives instructions on adding a nitrogen charge to an operating system.

At the posted pressures and assuming r134a, the evap is at -27 and the condenser is 88 degrees.. that is a low temp on both coils. Perhaps a stupid question but is the evap fan operating? There isnt a bag blocking the evap airflow is there?

If a evap fan on a sxs is bad you know it. Dads gatorade would be warm .

And to get that box to 0 you're goona need a -27 coil.

And we always thought it was wrong to have nitro in the operating system. What will they come up with next ? How about helium ? Wonder what that might get you.

Pretty high!

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Pretty high!
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

dad..we had the same pos fridge. got it before the tsb came out.. about a week after we bought it (of course at 3 am ) we discovered the popcorn machine we had just bought.. and of course our dogs really liked it. of course the salesman at lowes never heard of the noise, so i do a warranty service call - the tech says its a common/ normal for the frigidaires...so no fix at that time..
    then it died (compressor ) a lil less than 2 months after 12 mo warranty expired - electrolux offered a free compressor if i paid service call/install price..tried crossing comp # into something i could buy -no luck there..so i scrapped the damn thing..sadly we let them cart off our old 20 yr old fridge which worked fine..

-27 evap temp maybe needed on a walkin, but we must remember that resi units are holding units. If memory serves, the box temp is around 10 degrees over the evap temp on resis. I think they do this to decrease dehumidification so as to not dry out the product in the refrigeration side.

I did just read the service manual, and if it wasn't written by a manufacturer this post would be 5 extra pages wrong with the word hack and hackery on each posting. None the less, when they are saying they are building back pressure, they are doing so in the condensor, as John Tomczyk points out a lot is the fact that non condensables get stuck in the top of the condensor and take up space. If it were not the case then the nitrogen would defeat the purpose which evidently is to get liquid to the cap tube sooner. I would submit for thought that if the compressor valves are tight and DAD installed a line dryer (as he did) that the line dryer should be full of liquid enough to be getting the cap tube full pretty quick. And the whole point of the Nitrogen was to keep from "having to add refrigerant", which we have already said the unit is overcharged with an extra 4 ounces and still doing the deed.
    But to further show that this isn't DAD's problem, he said in his first post that this happens at any time with no rhym or reason, and "Popcorn maker sound for 5 or 6 minutes fairly loud then it goes away as quickly as it started". The service bulletin said it happens only at compressor startup and goes away in around 60 to 90 seconds. So it may be the same symptom, but not the same cause.

I really am taken back just a little by that service bulletin. Never heard of anything close to doing things that way, and if nothing else, if a tech misdiagnosis and adds the nitrogen, now he has two problems. And no matter if they approve or not the unit is not going to run to original specs. The head pressure and every number condenser related is going to be off during operation.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast