Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

on call - expected response time?

When you're on call and get called out, what do you feel is a reasonable response time? What does your boss think is a reasonable response time? If you get a call on a Sunday does he expect you to be sitting around waiting to run out the door as soon as the call comes in?

Most companies that dont value there employees will expect them there asap (especially if it a new customer). Reasonable employers dont expect you to just drop everything and run, but those companies are few and far between.

I'd say within an hour and a half to two hours w/ travel is fair.

I expect the tech to answer the phone or return my call within 15 to 30 minutes.

We service commercial refrigeration. I expect the techs to be on site within 2 hours of the initial call to me.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

i make myself available, now that may mean that i can get a call and leave soon after or if im out with the family well it'll wait till i get done before i go

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    I expect the tech to answer the phone or return my call within 15 to 30 minutes.

We service commercial refrigeration. I expect the techs to be on site within 2 hours of the initial call to me.
    Yes, I expect my techs to return the call within 30 minutes and then discuss the situation with the customer. We don't have hard and set rules for responding, but rarely have a problem. If our on-call tech is too busy to immediately respond to an emergency, he calls another tech or myself and we do what we have to do.

Same here...I have too many older residents who need that A/C in this heat.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

This is our 'rules'.

Big customer requires 2 hour emergency service.

some of our customers have a 4 hour response time. we have a live operator service that gives our customers up dates as to when we will be available for there call based off our call volume. they do a good job of weeding out the actual emergency calls and not bothering the on call tech with other calls.
    Air conditioning to all and to all a good night

Make contact asap within reason. Get there when you can asap. No hard and fast rules here but I am a pretty bad example as some of my customers are 13hrs away. So two hour resposne time is tough

To a computer room one hour.

I guess it really depends on the situation and also the location of the person on call 2hr its possible but it could be 4hr and then I guess in some remote parts of the country it could be longer.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

depends on the size of your area.

in Los Angeles we were usually given an hour, but i've never had an employer complain if it took longer

As quickly as possible, up to two hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast