Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Can you connect to a Summit panel via IP address?
    If so, what are the capabilites?
    jogas

I believe you would need a Summit WEB/OPS Panel. It might be easier(and cheaper) to set up the Summit PC on a network, and VPN into the Summit software over the web. This is how we do it. Using a wireless cellphone modem on a laptop, I am able to access our server from anywhere, and dial into any of our buildings.

Originally posted by cfactech
    I believe you would need a Summit WEB/OPS Panel. It might be easier(and cheaper) to set up the Summit PC on a network, and VPN into the Summit software over the web. This is how we do it. Using a wireless cellphone modem on a laptop, I am able to access our server from anywhere, and dial into any of our buildings.

O.K., I just completed Tridium school, took the test and will find out if I passed next week. As the AX is web-based, I'm thinking it would be easier to have only one communication route to all our sites, no matter what platform or vintage.
    I do know what a VPN is, but do not know the cost or pro's and con's of it. Could you explain further? Our IT people will not be shy about squashing this idea if it has down-sides.
    Also, do you have a guess at the WEB/OPS Panel cost? The customer is willing to pay for whatever is required to make alarm monitoring happen.
    And thanks for the reply.
    jogas

The BCU is not a web server but can be connected to the local IP for access.
    A workstation with windows XP has remote desktop built into it you can set this up with the workstation having a static IP address and access it remotely at no cost to the coustomer. It works very well and when you are connected this way it is as if you are sitting at the workstation.
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Originally posted by qtip
    The BCU is not a web server but can be connected to the local IP for access.
    A workstation with windows XP has remote desktop built into it you can set this up with the workstation having a static IP address and access it remotely at no cost to the coustomer. It works very well and when you are connected this way it is as if you are sitting at the workstation.
    Would this on site PC with the XP remote desktop running be the site PC now running Summit? Or could/should it be a seperate PC?
    How would I handle the off site monitoring say at 3am? Would I have to have a setup for our answering service(oh no!) and another at our shop? That would require 3 PC's.
    I really appreciate the replies. But they bring up new questions.
    TIA,
    jogas

Setup the IP address and make the BCU a BBMD. Providing the IP address is accessable from the internet. Running Summit on a computer with internet access select to connect via Bacnet/IP, select BBMD and enter the IP address of the BCU. You now have a Summit connection via the internet.

WebOPS is to provide the graphics hosting without Summit software required.

Also, do you have a guess at the WEB/OPS Panel cost? The customer is willing to pay for whatever is required to make alarm monitoring happen.
    Smaller jobsites will still be over 5k for WebOPS. Only worth money if high profile or jobsite that requires multiple users to access from different locations.

Originally posted by kwillmech
    Setup the IP address and make the BCU a BBMD. Providing the IP address is accessable from the internet. Running Summit on a computer with internet access select to connect via Bacnet/IP, select BBMD and enter the IP address of the BCU. You now have a Summit connection via the internet.

WebOPS is to provide the graphics hosting without Summit software required.
    What is a BBMD?
    jogas

That's insane. Do you get similar functionality to Summit?

Originally posted by jc47
    Could you explain your question and what you are referring to?
    jogas

What is a BBMD?
    Bacnet Broadcast Management Device, it handles routing the Bacnet data across different subnets.

Here is a good link to review:
    http://www.bacnet.org/Tutorial/

Originally posted by jc47
    Similar yes from the basic operator's point of view.

Demo site http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=98375

http://www.trane.com/Commercial/Equi...4EN_112905.pdf

Could you explain your question and what you are referring to?
    jogas
    Sorry, I was talking about the earlier post about webops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast