Question

Ok I’m a HVAC guy never played with appliances. My wife has been complaining about her oven taking to long to cook things it’s a Whirlpool 465 accubake Gas range. I put the gas line in myself so I know that is at least sized correctly. Today I took my digital thermometer and stuck the probe in the oven I had the oven set at 350 and had let it pre heat set the thermometer on data log and the oven would cycle on at 310f and cycle off at 353f.

Question 1 is what would the normal cycle range for a residential oven be?

Question 2 is where should the display temp be set? My personal though would be when I have the oven set at 350 I would want the oven to cycle between 330f and 370f but then again I'm just a HVAC guy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and get the wife off my back.

Originally posted by hvacrjones
    Ok I’m a HVAC guy never played with appliances. My wife has been complaining about her oven taking to long to cook things it’s a Whirlpool 465 accubake Gas range. I put the gas line in myself so I know that is at least sized correctly. Today I took my digital thermometer and stuck the probe in the oven I had the oven set at 350 and had let it pre heat set the thermometer on data log and the oven would cycle on at 310f and cycle off at 353f.

Question 1 is what would the normal cycle range for a residential oven be?

Question 2 is where should the display temp be set? My personal though would be when I have the oven set at 350 I would want the oven to cycle between 330f and 370f but then again I'm just a HVAC guy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and get the wife off my back.
    1. Your cycle time would depend upon your oven insulation and component materials in manufacturing. In other words, the cheaper built the oven the eaiser it looses heat and will cycle more often.

2. 350* is the norm when it comes to calibrating an oven. Most thermostats will glide 5* - 7* high and low not 20*. A thermostat should off cycle at 355* and on cycle at 345* give or take a few degrees.

Now, knowing there are many types of ovens and temperature controllers is yours mechanical or electronic temperature sensing? Or does it have a solid state probe or cap bulb?

When you come back to answer that question also tell us that you DID check your gas pressure and adjust it to factory specs. The pressure must be checked during flow not static. The specs are on the data plate and there should be a manifold plug for your manometer.

It may simply be that your oven is underfired by the regulator settings not pipe size. That could cause the high glide.

Thanks for the replie I think ill have time to check tomarow then ill post the info