Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    The blower ramps up like pressing the accelerator on your car. Only take a few seconds to get to full speed.
    Depends on what car you have and gear selection.

I thought the normal ramp profiles were still 5-10 seconds on ECM motors. That contractor might also be referring to a blwoer "comfort" profile where it runs at 50% speed for 30 seconds, then 80% for 2 -5 minutes, then full speed... or soemthing like that. Each mfg has their own profile, some with mulitple profiles selectable. Personally I prefer dehmidify on demand.

Well, I'm going with the variable speed. Hope it's not a mistake.

I happened to be looking online at the service manual....looks like routine maintenance is complicated with these new units...all kinds of wire disconnections and dissembly just to clean out the burners, compared to older furnaces, and I have to hope/pray the techs won't screw up. The service manual even talks about the service tech having to (during routine maintenance) remove old RTV-style sealant from cell panel and inducer backing plate and then spraying releasing agent and then re-applying new sealant. (yet another crazy thing to have to worry about...i. e. is the service tech going to correctly reseal something with an RTV sealant each year when doing routine maintenance...yikes!)

No most likely they will not remove it unless there is a problem or suspicion of problem. Don't try to fix it if it ain't broke cuz you might break it. I'm not too familiar with that particular furnace but I assume it has inshot burners like all other newer furnaces, they typically need little cleaning maybe a cobweb hear and there but nothing like older style ribbon burners.

Hmm....does that mean I could get away without yearly maintenance (other than changing the filter)....and maybe only have it professionally tuned up, say, every 2 years?

Silly question, but why won't they run a new wire? Is it between floors, because I wouldn't do that, either. The wireless thermostat may be a good option for you. You would be able to fully utilize the two stage system. The cost is much less then it would be to have a new wire ran through a difficult area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jreality View Post
    Hmm....does that mean I could get away without yearly maintenance (other than changing the filter)....and maybe only have it professionally tuned up, say, every 2 years?
    Yearly maintenance is important. Parts are inspected and cleaned, and proper performance and early signs of problems can be identified. There is alot more to servicing equipment then a filter change.

Quote Originally Posted by bluke1 View Post
    Yearly maintenance is important. Parts are inspected and cleaned, and proper performance and early signs of problems can be identified. There is alot more to servicing equipment then a filter change.
    X2

The furnace is in the basement (and the furnace room actually has sheetrock in the ceiling, and the thermostat is on the first floor, not directly above the furnace, and the room below the thermostat is fully finished. I suppose they could try to pull new wiring in, but they're probably afraid of snags.

BTW, I happened to notice that the installation manual talks about a 20 amp circuit and breaker for the 58CVA, and when I pointed out that the existing circuit is 15 amps and asked whether it is still appropriate for the model I chose, he said Yes and said that, with all due respect, I'm overthinking things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jreality View Post
    The furnace is in the basement (and the furnace room actually has sheetrock in the ceiling, and the thermostat is on the first floor, not directly above the furnace, and the room below the thermostat is fully finished. I suppose they could try to pull new wiring in, but they're probably afraid of snags.

BTW, I happened to notice that the installation manual talks about a 20 amp circuit and breaker for the 58CVA, and when I pointed out that the existing circuit is 15 amps and asked whether it is still appropriate for the model I chose, he said Yes and said that, with all due respect, I'm overthinking things.
    As long as it's a dedicated circuit, 15 Amps is plenty, especially with a VS blower. 20 Amps is just more common in in newer electrical systems and tends to be the default. The larger wire size in a 20 Amp as opposed to 15 Amp (I think it's 14 vs 12 gauge) circuit can mean slightly less voltage droop when the motor starts.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-29-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Depends where you live. In the south furnaces are often oversized to get the required airflow for cooling.p

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-29-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123