questions on improving air quality

I am hoping someone here can help me. Ill give a brief history of my problem. I have chronic allergies. You name a pollen, mold or dust and I probably have an allergy to it. I take allergy injections and prescription medications.

One interesting thing I have noticed is when I go to most restaurants my allergies improve. They dont improve anywhere else. My question is: what could restaurants be doing to the air to improve my allergies? Is a restaurant heating and air conditioning system different than the ones used in a residential home?

Help in figuring this out would be much appreciated.

The catalytic exhaust purification system for restaurants will have numerous applications in a host of other industries,including composite processing,paint booths,wood-burning kilns,chemical manufacturing,and virtually any type of polluted streamlined emission.Thanks.

Most commercial buildings have heating and air conditioning units that take in a certain quantity of make-up air (outside air).

These units mix this outside air with the return air coming from inside the building,it is filtered,then heated or cooled and sent back into the structure for good air quality.

Your typical home residential unit does not do this. All that is done is the same air is recycled over and over with only a filter in the return to eliminate airborne particulate.Filter choice in your home is important as far as air quality.

Another factor to consider is humidity in the home.Generally,commercial structures do not have issues with high humidity due to the large size of the structure.Also,there are a low number of people occupying the square footage (percentage wise) compared to a home.

With building and food codes in the restaurant industry my guess would be that there is less of a likelihood that mold exists in restaurants than in your house.

Restaurant air systems are usually different. Typically they circulate more of the outside air in then your normal house hold. They also usually have about three stages of filtration along with the option of using all carbon for gaseous and odor issues. If this is something you are interested in your house, many of these systems can be added right on to your existing HVAC system. I would look into Pure air systems. A google search and some research will help you! Hope this helped!

I've got something that started similar but finished up in crippling arthritis and a rare form of leukemia (T-LGL). Modern allergies: Formaldehyde is one of the main offenders - it is in lots of products, wall paper, hairspray, MDF, natural fibre treatments, paints etc. The oils in plastics are another issue.

A balanced flow heat recovery ventilation system resolved a lot of my allergies. We're building a new house and I could not live in it for 6 months to a year unless I put a balanced ventilation system in it, then a week after finishing it is fine.

Wish you best and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    I am hoping someone here can help me. Ill give a brief history of my problem. I have chronic allergies. You name a pollen, mold or dust and I probably have an allergy to it. I take allergy injections and prescription medications.

One interesting thing I have noticed is when I go to most restaurants my allergies improve. They dont improve anywhere else. My question is: what could restaurants be doing to the air to improve my allergies? Is a restaurant heating and air conditioning system different than the ones used in a residential home?

Help in figuring this out would be much appreciated.
    All experts recommend an air change of fresh filtered air in 4-5 hours when the home is occupied. The filter should be merv 11. Also maintain +30%RH--<50%RH inside the space to prevent mold, dust mites, bacteria growth in the isolated space inside the home. If you live in a region with outdoor dew point <30^F humidification may be needed. If your outside dew points exceed 60^F, dehumidification is needed.
    Check out whole house ventilating dehumidifiers like the Ultra-Aire have the fresh air and air filtering options including activated charcoal and merv 14 filtering.
    Tell us about your climate and particulars about your home.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

There are different standards for domestic ventilation and commercial buildings. Then in certain countries there are different standards for hospitals and restaurants. If I remember correctly often domestic works out to approx 0.35 ~ 0.5 air changes per hour.

I am not sure but vaguely remember somewhere reading restaurants and hospital sick rooms being ten times that amount. Operation rooms in hospitals were double the latter amount once again.

Check for locations where water can pool on occasion - it has a large impact on health.

One thing I learned recently (and that I was not aware off) is that a garage attached to the home has to be ventilated too. Never happens in our country (everything gets done as cheap as possible with the cheapest materials giving the highest profit) but I'll be putting it in.

I found the Irisch regulations pretty informative.

I am not sure of the restaurant standard, but in patient rooms air changes per hour ACH only needs to be 5, however in an OR that number is increased to at least 20. I believe schools need to have at least 2 ACH as well.