Fresh out of trade school!

Just finished a 10 month program at Northwestern Tech. I know I want to be a service tech. What is the best way to approach an employer about a job? When employers want someone with experience. Thanks

Be open to anything and everything and embrace refrigeration, ice machines, and restaurant equipment. If you can fix that stuff and have a can do attitude, you can repair almost anything. Don't expect great pay to start, and then don't be afraid to switch companies as you want to move up the pay scale.

Here is a previous forum about resume. http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....light=xceltech
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

There is some good advice in that link. I had to chuckle the other day when I saw a resume posted at the parts house where the guy put on there that he went snowboarding an average of 56 days per season. All I could think of was that this guy would not be available for heat calls for a good portion of the winter, nor would he be available for on-call work.

Quote Originally Posted by tuba View Post
    There is some good advice in that link. I had to chuckle the other day when I saw a resume posted at the parts house where the guy put on there that he went snowboarding an average of 56 days per season. All I could think of was that this guy would not be available for heat calls for a good portion of the winter, nor would he be available for on-call work.

You know it's funny. Everyone says they want to work until they're asked to. I fish competitivly. I'm fortunate I have a boss who tries to work around my schedule. Pretty sure he wouldn't go out of his way to accomodate me if I wasn't helping him out. At least the snowboarder is honest.

To the OP Get a resume and knock on doors. A clean driving record is a plus. Better to show up for an interview 15 minutes early than 5 minutes late. Speak and write clearly. Alot of employers give basic hvac aptitude tests during the interview. You want to look clean cut since you will be meeting with customers. Be willing to work whether its changing filters, install helper or wash the bosses van. Don't get discouraged
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I've read that forum and it’s very good. I have established work history 14 years at the same job but not related to HVAC it was in retail. I have not missed a day of class. My resume shows no prior HVAC experience so how can I make it appeal to employers. Would it be best to address that in the cover letter because obviously I'm not ready to go out on my own to do service work and I don't want any employer to think that I am. I need the on the job training. How do I be honest without making myself look like a dummy on paper? Thanks for all your help.

You just hit on one of the major things that a GOOD employer will be looking for, someone who will stick around. I would make that the key component of your resume. A good HVAC company wants long term employed techs. If you can show a very high attendance while in school and a desire to learn and the drive to self-train while not at work an employer will be happy to grab you up.

Those skills should be what the employer sees first; Dependability(attendance), Loyalty(14 years same company), Growth(self-training) and Responsibility(where you given responsibilities in your last job show it). You will get the skill in time if you have the first 3.

You should use a resume style that point to this information. Because this is your first time in the industry you are not trying to sale your skill you are trying to sale yourself. You need to show them you are a solid investment because they are gonna spend money to make you an accomplished technician.

Start first by making the top of your resume easy to read at a glance. Use large bold lettering for your name. Don't use fancy fonts. Make the contact information easy to read and give them multiple options two or three telephone numbers, email, and address. Then start with a SHORT statement of purpose. Use the word career, not job. Do not make it personal in tone.

PURPOSE:
    Secure and grow an HVAC career with a successful long standing company that needs a committed individual willing to be molded into a professional technician.

Then show your schooling making sure the great attendance stands out.
    Show your employment only for the last three companies OR the last 7 years. In this case 14 years with one company.

Finally show a list of skill you have learned from your schooling. Don't embellish it to much show no more then three columns of 5 lines.

When you do get an interview make sure you bring ALL your letters of reference, school transcripts, any honor role or awards earned in school, paper and pen, a valid drivers license, and DO NOT play with your cell phone. Even in the waiting room leave the cell phone alone unless you are using it to retrieve information.
    Last edited by XcelTech; 11-23-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

They know you're not ready. 10 months of school barelty covers the basics. The established history is a good selling point. It shows you're loyal and not a job hopper. It also shows you are productive and reliable. Otherwise you'd have been fired. I'm not an employer but loyalty, reliability and you haven't learned any bad habits yet are good qualities. You were in retail. Sell yourself.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Thank you all for the great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mike81 View Post
    Thank you all for the great advice.
    Stop by the union hall, talk to the business manager, ask if there are any contractors looking for pre-aprentices, drop your resume, see if they let you take the test and dont give up if you dont make it the first time, keep on bugging them.

First of all if you evèr are speaking with an employer on the phone say why you deserve the job and immediately push to set up a meeting. You must convince yourself you will be hired to before you convince your new boss. The 3 times I used this strategy I was hired.

My next piece of advice would be to stress your knowledge and experience with tools. If you have none then get some! Go work for car mechanics, plumbers or electricians while you are looking for an hvac job.

The last thing I advise you to do is to go to supply shops and ask the people behind the counter which are the busiest companies and go knocking on the companies doors at 8am. You can also ask the technicians waiting on line if their companies are hiring or go to commercial areas and ask the guys by their trucks how to get a hold of the boss. If you just go walk into shops at 8am and be really persistent you will have a job within 3-4 tries.

And really last if all GOOD LUCK!!!!!