New-to-me Condo, New-to-Me HVAC

Hi there. Just purchased a ~ 2450 sq. ft. condo with a Lennox G51MP-60C-110-08 furnace, and a Lennox 13ACD-060-230-05 condensing unit. They're controlled by a Lennox ComfortSense 3000 control. I unfortunately don't know the model number of the coil (the house is now in contract, and I can't get back into it for another month). Some questions I'm grateful for answers to:

1. Because the furnace doesn't have a variable-speed blower, I'm assuming that the A/C has a 13 SEER rather than any boost in efficiency that the furnace can sometimes provide... correct?

2. There's no humidifier currently, and I anticipate installing one because it's dry indoors and there's relatively little envelope modification to be done. Any recommendations as to powered vs. non-powered (I've read a little about both, and I don't know that I understand one to be superior)?

3. I'd like to upgrade the control to something that will do all of the following:

• Control both heat and air, and provide for auto changeover between the two;
    • Provide control over humidifier (rather than a furnace-mounted dedicated humidifier control), including automatic adjustment for outdoor temperature (I could hardwire an outdoor sensor, though wireless would be better);
    • Allow WiFi remote access of all system settings (system on/off, temp, fan setting, humidity setting);
    • Allow dehumidification by either overcooling, or -- preferably -- adjusting blower speed (if that's even possible with this furnace);
    • Allow for time-of-day programming of both temperature and fan setting

As best I can tell, that list points toward the Honeywell Prestige 2.0 IAQ with the EIM, outdoor sensor, and internet bridge -- because as best I can tell, the Lennox iComfort WiFi is incompatible and the Nest, the Ecobee, and the VisionPro WiFi meet some but not all of these specs. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

1. Right

2. If room, I prefer the bypass. Simple design, reliable. If not, a fan powered on the supply air will be fine. Don't put one on the return.

3. Yup, Prestige IAQ and a creative installer could get you a slower blower speed with dehumidify on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    1. Right

2. If room, I prefer the bypass. Simple design, reliable. If not, a fan powered on the supply air will be fine. Don't put one on the return.

3. Yup, Prestige IAQ and a creative installer could get you a slower blower speed with dehumidify on demand.
    Thanks! It's set up as downdraft where the coil is essentially on the floor underneath the furnace. I have lots of exposed return duct but very little supply that I can get to. Sounds like that limits if not eliminates a humidifier option (outside of steam maybe, which as I understand it are both expensive to buy/run and aren't very reliable)?

You may have more low-hanging fruit regarding that condo's building enclosure/envelope than you realize. Only when you start living there will much of this become apparent, but in the meantime start thinking and researching about how residential buildings leak air (much good info on this subject at the buildingscience dot com site). Leaky buildings in winter are arid dry buildings that can be hard to heat. Leaky buildings in summer, depending on climate, can either be hard to cool and keep dry, or hard to cool even if things do stay dry. You have expressed concern over humidity control for both seasons, so might I assume you live in a humid climate?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    You may have more low-hanging fruit regarding that condo's building enclosure/envelope than you realize. Only when you start living there will much of this become apparent, but in the meantime start thinking and researching about how residential buildings leak air (much good info on this subject at the buildingscience dot com site). Leaky buildings in winter are arid dry buildings that can be hard to heat. Leaky buildings in summer, depending on climate, can either be hard to cool and keep dry, or hard to cool even if things do stay dry. You have expressed concern over humidity control for both seasons, so might I assume you live in a humid climate?
    Columbus, Ohio. Will take a look around once we're in there a bit and see what I see. Thanks for the advice.