Thread: Air Handler Fan Curves - Educational Use

Post Likes

Air Handler Fan Curves - Educational Use

Hi,

I am a student at Washington State University, and our project requires us to select a fan curve for the HVAC system that we have designed for a home.

After an exhaustive search of air handler manufacturer websites, I have only been able to find fan performance curves for commercial systems. I am at my wits end in trying to locate fan curves for residential air handlers.

What I am specifically looking for is the fan curves for the Trane Hyperion XL air handler; their website recommended this for the size home for which we are designing. However, anything, for any other brand you may have, would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks much,
    Paul

Post Likes
    I have never seen a fan curve for residential. you could take the table data and plot your own curve vs. blower speed.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.m.peterson View Post
    ]
    What I am specifically looking for is the fan curves for the Trane Hyperion XL air handler; their website recommended this for the size home for which we are designing.

Thanks much,
    Paul
    Huh?
    I'm sure (any hvac manufacturer) would recommend the (their product) for that house.

Your gonna have to plot your own fan curve. Your not going to find one for residential.
    Maybe thats part of your project?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Is a blower performance chart what you need?

That shows what cfm at what static pressure the air handler is pushing

Post Likes
    I don't have an issue with plotting my own curve. We characterized a centrifugal fan in another experimental design class, so I would be happy to do that.

However ... I can't even find the data to plot!! I asked Trane for data, but what they gave me did not provide the full range of data, i.e. dead-headed static pressure with zero flow through full flow with zero static pressure.

If anyone has the data, please, please post it on here so that I can get this project done. I have other feelers out to other companies, but really need this information as quickly as possible, as the project is due in another two weeks and this is the last missing piece of the puzzle (already have the system curves developed).

Thanks again,
    Paul

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Is a blower performance chart what you need?

That shows what cfm at what static pressure the air handler is pushing
    SBK, that would be terrific. Data or chart, with various fan speeds.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    I have never seen a fan curve for residential. you could take the table data and plot your own curve vs. blower speed.
    John ... do you have the tabulated data? Need an air handler for a 3200 ft² home.

Post Likes
    pages 6 to 10
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thanks Dan!! This and an ASHRAE handbook will make for some ... well ... long nights ... the price we pay.

Best regards,
    Paul

Post Likes
    HYPERION
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Beat me too it. I was going ot post a pdf. for a XV80... which would be similar... just a little less efficient.

Post Likes
    Thanks so much gents ... very much appreciated!

Post Likes
    You may want to put a footnote in your report that points out that the blower performance chart is pretty much a work of fiction. This is because of the way that the blower is tested in the lab as compared to what kind of duct systems the typical blower is connected to in residential installations. "Fan system effect" will alter the actual fan curve numbers; meaning you may measure what the static pressure is, but how many cfm's that blower is actually moving can be much less than what the performance chart says it's moving.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in