+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt Removal

Post Likes

Salt Removal

I live on a beach in the tropics. Right on the beach, 20 meters from the seawall. Although everyone on the beach has problems with corrosion from the salt in the air, they're 50 meters from the high tide line, by law, but I have an apartment in a building built before the seawall. So I'm close enough to the ocean to not need air conditioning or heating, computers last less than a year in the high humidity and the salt in the air.

I'm looking for a solution to the corrosion problem only in my small office. The office is currently staying at 80 degrees (it's summer). The floor, walls and ceiling are masonry. Would a portable dehumidifier take the humidity out of the air (it's really humid here!) and the salt along with it? Would a filter remove the salt from the air?

The standard solution for offices and computer rooms here is to install an air conditioner. But I'd have a compressor, compressor and fan hanging out in the sea breeze. It might last a year.

Any suggestions on how to remove the salt from my office air? Reducing the humidity would be nice, too!

Thanks.

-Alan

Post Likes
    what size room are we talking about?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    what size room are we talking about?
    The office is 10 feet by 16 feet, with an 8 foot ceiling.

Post Likes
    If you want to control Humidity a stand alone dehumidifier will work but you will add heat to the room unless you can exhaust the air.

In some places i used units like Movincool http://www.movincool.com/portable-ai...o12.php..These will control temp and humidity...I used these in many computer room and you can pipe condensate out.

But depending on how tight the room is, (you don't want a lot of leakage)..Otherwise it can be a losing battle. Not sure if they make these with coated coils to help with salt..But its would be far better than to how a condensor exposed to the outside. IMO

From the size of the room you don't need a big one...but i would do a load calculation.

The unit above is an example there are other brands you can research and use. I not a sale rep...

Post Likes
    I'll see what sort of dehumidifier or portable air conditioner I can find locally.

Thanks!

-Alan

Post Likes
    So in theory, removing the moisture would remove a certain amount of salt correct? The salt is being carried by the moisture in the ambient air?

Post Likes
    That's my thinking, that removing the moisture from the air would also remove the salt.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in