Simple question, difficult answer!

Hi, I am the owner of a recently installed HP system and my installer is having some issues answering a what I consider a simple question

My system:
    Thermostats: AUBE TH146-P
    HP: Trane 16XLi 3 tons
    air handler: Trane TAM7 (TAM7A0C42H31SB) equiped with 20Kw electric heater (BAYEVBC20BK1A)

The question: is my system considered a 3heat/2cool or 2heat/2cool, the question is asked because my installer is having a challange on how to set my Thermostat. Right now it is set for 3H/2C with interstage delay at 5 minutes.

Jumper between w1 and w2 has been removed

symptom now is that when heating Y1, Y2 and W1 are coming on even when set point and ambiant temperature are close.

Thanks

It's 3 stages, could be 4 or 5 stage heat if you staged the 20kw electric heat too. There must be a problem with the set up if all are coming on at close to set point

Yea, with 20kw I'd call it 4 heat 2 cool. Why is there a timer involved? A good stat would choose stages based on temps and trends, not 5 minutes of time.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Yea, with 20kw I'd call it 4 heat 2 cool. Why is there a timer involved? A good stat would choose stages based on temps and trends, not 5 minutes of time.
    The thermostat has two modes, HVAC and Heat pump, it is configured in heat pump, in that mode you can set the interstage delay from 5 minutes to 90 minutes. It is written that when in HVAC mode, the system does it automativally. Could this be the nature of my problem, the fact that tstat is set to Heat pump and not HVAC. Does my system can be considered HVAC?

Thanks again

2 second Google search says this stat is 2H/1C.

maybe there is a different model, but the one I found is not compatible and does not show W2 or Y2.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

The exact model is TH146-P-U

Most digital stats will start staging on aux heat with set point is .5 degrees above room temp. It may be impossible to watch it stage unless you camp on it a while.
    The 3h/2c is depending on how it was set up. They may have all 20k coming on at once or in 5kw increments.
    It's just rocket science. It's not like it's heat and air work or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sylbarr View Post
    Hi, I am the owner of a recently installed HP system and my installer is having some issues answering a what I consider a simple question

My system:
    Thermostats: AUBE TH146-P
    HP: Trane 16XLi 3 tons
    air handler: Trane TAM7 (TAM7A0C42H31SB) equiped with 20Kw electric heater (BAYEVBC20BK1A)

The question: is my system considered a 3heat/2cool or 2heat/2cool, the question is asked because my installer is having a challange on how to set my Thermostat. Right now it is set for 3H/2C with interstage delay at 5 minutes.

Jumper between w1 and w2 has been removed

symptom now is that when heating Y1, Y2 and W1 are coming on even when set point and ambiant temperature are close.

Thanks
    as BaldLoonie said, 4H/2C, since the jumper between w1 and w2 is removed. you have 2 stages of strip heat and 2 stages of compressor.

what temps are your set points in the time periods?

is it possible that it is in defrost or that you have to big of setback?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Thanks for the answer, the setpoint is at 22.5celcius. The system starts when temp reach 21.5 and will heat until temp reaches 23.5. I am still puzzeled about this HVAC vs HeatPump?

It sounds like you need a better stat like a honeywell vision pro 8000 or IAQ