Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17
  1. #1

    retro lennox pulse with new ecm motor for continuous operation

    My furnace is in great condition. I enjoy the comfort level with the continuous fan. However, expensive to run my current furnace with the continuous fan due to the cost. Draws 6.3 amps and costs approximately $950 a year.

    Salesmen state that with a new furnace with an ECM motor only costs what a 100 watt light bulb would be for a year.

    Is it possible to update my current furnace with a more efficient motor?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    in a house, Appomattox, Va.
    Posts
    3,197
    You could have an X13 (ECM)motor put in. they're made as a drop in replacement for the psc you have now.
    Col 3:23


    questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    5,673
    Emerson sells a motor called evergreen that is more efficient replacent motor

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    5,821
    Something to consider - with the reduced power consumption comes with reduced air flow.

    Your motor probably runs at 60-50% of full speed (maybe more).

    The ecm retro or new furnace will be more like 30%.

    Yes they are more efficient than your motor running at 30%. I doubt it will pay for itself quickly though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,642
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Something to consider - with the reduced power consumption comes with reduced air flow.

    Your motor probably runs at 60-50% of full speed (maybe more).

    The ecm retro or new furnace will be more like 30%.

    Yes they are more efficient than your motor running at 30%. I doubt it will pay for itself quickly though.

    Pulse furnace would be running at air conditioning speed when fan is in on position.

    creative use of relays could make the old motor or one of the new evergreen motors run at a reduced speed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,399
    Should be fine IF you can find some way of mounting one in a pulse. Smaller one maybe, but if it has the BIG motor, may be hard to get a mount in there. 28F01 or whatever that monster with the 40 mfd cap is!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,512
    might be better off putting that money toward a new furnace with a ECM motor in it
    We really need change now

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    might be better off putting that money toward a new furnace with a ECM motor in it
    Have a 24 year old Lennox Pulse Furnace. Thought I had a problem with my furnace, so I began the estimate process (5). However, it passed the heater exchange pressure test. Now I'm unsure what I should do. Any idea how much more life I will get out of my current furnace or should I purchase a new one now? Was very impressed with the new furnaces that have 2 Stage ECM motors. Planning on staying at my current location for approximately 10 more years.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    5,673
    Quote Originally Posted by metal center View Post
    Have a 24 year old Lennox Pulse Furnace. Thought I had a problem with my furnace, so I began the estimate process (5). However, it passed the heater exchange pressure test. Now I'm unsure what I should do. Any idea how much more life I will get out of my current furnace or should I purchase a new one now? Was very impressed with the new furnaces that have 2 Stage ECM motors. Planning on staying at my current location for approximately 10 more years.
    It's probably gonna cost a bit more to replace in an emergency situation than in a proactive situation, with that said most pulses I've changed out have been in the 25+ year range and most of those were only changed due to the air conditioning breaking and changing the furnace out to match the new ac.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Pavilion, NY
    Posts
    2,015
    My only real concern is part availability for the pulse units. Of course the motor, relays, and fan/limit are universal, the inducer, flappers, ignition board and some other parts are OEM. I had a unit last year that needed a new plastic air flapper housing and I was told it was unavailable. My understanding is that as the parts are deplete they will not be available. With that said,,,Lennox is not supporting the furnace anymore and I would hang into it as is or replace the unit proactively if you can swing it. They are pretty simple units with a descent track record. If you have a relationship with a company that is failure with the unit you may be ok. Just my $.02
    ...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    1,620
    In our area most pulses didn't last 25 years before the heat exchanger failed pressure test. Doubt yours has much life left in it. Don't retrofit an epensive motor into that furnace,it will be wasted dollars.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    5,673
    I'm in the south where the furnace doesn't run much of the year so they last a lot longer than in a colder climate.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    1,330
    can not get most parts for pulse furnaces anymore in my area......seems a poor idea to dump money into a pulse...unless you have a source for parts.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event