Thread: Our retirement home on the St. Lawrence River near Lake Omtario. Efficient heat pumps

Post Likes

Our retirement home on the St. Lawrence River near Lake Omtario. Efficient heat pumps

Are there any air to air heat pumps that can pay back in 3 years of almost constant 70 degrees of HVAC for my sick wife needs?

I realize ground source water would be best.
    But the reality is it will most likely be built on a fully insulated concrete crawl space on solid rock or almost solid rock.

The 2 pictures are the most information I have. To be built next summer.

Thank you to all the professionals on this site.

Richard

Pleasant Valley 1430 SF ranch modular.........R-50 attic insulation...R-28 2" x 6" walls with radiant reflective foil. T & G OSB on floor. Will Have foam sprayed under between floor joists.
    This area is usually very windy year around during daylight hours. We get lake effect from Lake Ontario. The length of the house will face east.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post

Are there any air to air heat pumps that can pay back in 3 years of almost constant 70 degrees of HVAC for my sick wife needs?

I realize ground source water would be best. But the reality is it will most likely be built on a fully insulated concrete crawl space on solid rock or almost solid rock.

Richard

Pleasant Valley 1430 SF ranch modular.........
    R-50 attic insulation...R-28 2" x 6" walls with radiant reflective foil. T & G OSB on floor.
    Will Have foam sprayed under between floor joists.

This area is usually very windy year around during daylight hours.
    We get lake effect from Lake Ontario. The length of the house will face east.
    Total heat loss ~ 18,600 BTU/Hr at 0'F
    with R-21 floor and 130 square feet of U 0.3 glass,
    & Infiltration 75 CFM / 0.35 Air Change per Hour ( ACH)

2 ton unit ... selection later
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Is Cellulose this much better over fibreglass as temperatures drop ?

Post Likes
    Have you looked into mini split heat pumps. They are very efficient and super quiet. You can also control only the areas you want at any given time. Only thing I don't like is that you can't put a good filtration system with it like you could with a central system. www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/consumer/product-solutions/product-showcase

Post Likes
    With you on filtration problems

Post Likes
    I just finished surfing the web on insulation types & their pros & cons............The professionals can not agree on which type is better after checking foams with IR guns and after 5....10.... 15 years. Some applications of foam were not mixed correctly... wrong temperatures....could not reach all difficult places. Foam crumbled ....pulled away after shrinking...cracks.................Etc.

Was on the site of www.homeenergypros.com .............Spray foam versus fibreglass

Is the foam application that difficult if a person is unlucky ?

I am now leaning back to Glass or sprayed Cellulose...............untill I find a site that confuses me more on them.

I really appreciate your postings.

Richard

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Have you looked into mini split heat pumps.
    They are very efficient and super quiet.
    You can also control only the areas you want at any given time.
    Only thing I don't like is that you can't put a good filtration system with it like you could with a central system.
    In light of the Mitsubishi recommendation,
    Some1 ought to be a little creative and
    _________ develop a small distribution duct work for BROAN HRV model GSEH3K 270.
    ........................................\/
    _____________ for a 27 x 52 foot residence.
    ---------10----------20----------30----------40----------50 FEET

[....................../\. 40 CFM..............40 CFM../\ .... 8 FEET ]
    [......................I........................... ..............I ...............]
    [......................I........................... ..............I
    [......................I........................... ..............I................................... ...
    [40 CFM ...<-..------------120 cfm ------------ ERV -<-- 200 CFM O.A.
    [......................I........................... ..............I ........................
    [......................I........................... ..............I ................]
    [.....................\/...40 CFM..........................\/ 40 CFM ....]

http://www.broan.com/products/produc...6/tab/overview
    X
    X
    X
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Not following. ??? What's with all the lines and dots Dan? Lol

Post Likes
    An Hrv would be a good solution for filtration with minisplits in a northern climate but the minisplits are already an extra cost over conventional hvac then adding a Hrv or dehu for filtration along with ductwork it would be a lot cheaper to go conventional with a good filtration system.

Post Likes
    don't dump fresh air in 1 spot when/if mini-splits are used.
    did i say?
    ... creative ..

Post Likes

Thumbs up

This Outside Air distribution layout should be Quite EASY to see .!

Attachment

Post Likes
    I have always had a fresh air intake duct to the circulating fan, with a adjustable mixing valve.

Post Likes
    Is the foam application that difficult if a person is unlucky ?

luck has nothing to do with it.
    temp mix of componets, moisture content of wood
    and experience of installer has everything to do with it.

shop for experienced installer, not company owner. installer.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Finding good trades people in a new area is as easy as finding a prostitute that takes a credit card.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in