+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best sheetmetal cutting snips

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Copper is a relatively soft metal.... I suspect if someone abused your shears it was bailing wire or something hard (a nail?).

Shame helpers cannot just ask... they would learn something if they did.
    I'm willing to bet it was the wire in flex duct that did them in...
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    honestly when im in a " gawd forsaken spot " and those snips are what i have.......yeah they're gonna cut it.
    read,learn,grow.....repeat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Copper is a relatively soft metal.... I suspect if someone abused your shears it was bailing wire or something hard (a nail?).

Shame helpers cannot just ask... they would learn something if they did.
    I was referring to 6 gauge solid copper wire. I also do plumbing (and in this context, water heater changeouts) so those get cut on a regular basis. But flex duct wire is equally likely, as is chicken wire. You can see slight round notches in the blade of the snips. So I suspect it's something round, but it's all besides the point as it was definitely feeling worn before they broke so had to be replaced anyway.

I keep telling my helpers or apprentices to use the right tool for the job. It's frustrating when they don't take a few minutes to go get the proper tool and just wing it. I've resorted to telling my company that if a helper breaks my tools for any reason whatsoever, they are paying for it. I am not going to pay to train them.

Anyway, I'm just venting there. Do appreciate the comments and suggestions!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe RBVBD View Post
    I was referring to 6 gauge solid copper wire. I also do plumbing (and in this context, water heater changeouts) so those get cut on a regular basis. But flex duct wire is equally likely, as is chicken wire. You can see slight round notches in the blade of the snips. So I suspect it's something round, but it's all besides the point as it was definitely feeling worn before they broke so had to be replaced anyway.

I keep telling my helpers or apprentices to use the right tool for the job. It's frustrating when they don't take a few minutes to go get the proper tool and just wing it. I've resorted to telling my company that if a helper breaks my tools for any reason whatsoever, they are paying for it. I am not going to pay to train them.

Anyway, I'm just venting there. Do appreciate the comments and suggestions!
    You raise an interesting question here... I think I will run an experiment: I have some 6 GA CO wire... will snip it a few times with some older sheers to see if it causes a noticeable notch... will get back to H-talk in a day or so.

Personally, the wire in flex sounds like the culprit... well the helper who used the wrong tool.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I hate to see a fresh set of snips get destroyed that way by a lazy installer or a new guy who didn't know any better. On the bright side, when it does happen, you have a new set of 'beater snips' for cutting all kinds of junk lol.
    I keep a couple pairs around for cutting stuff like shingles for a nice rounded flashing install, BX, liquid tite etc.

I'll be curious to see what happens with the copper too. My beater snips are so beat up from cutting other crap, I couldn't tell you if copper ever made a new dent in them.

Post Likes
    Klein or Lennox has been most trustworthy for me !

Post Likes
    I have used these for years, now they have a wire cutter. I have 2 are that are 15+ years old. The most important thing I have found with snips is not to let anyone else use yours.

http://www.klenktools.com/Main/Produ...ew.asp#MA70560
    JLB,

Post Likes
    handtools Midwest
    powertools Trumpf http://www.trumpf-powertools.com/index.php?id=1209&L=1

Post Likes
    Midwest. Got a brand new set of kleins, that I hated. Any snips that i have to tighten the fricken nut up every time I use them are not doing me any good. Got some old klenks that come in handy too.

Post Likes
    I ended up going with Wiss. It's cutting nicely but we're still in the honeymoon stage of our relationship. We'll see what happens when marriage sinks in. LOL

Post Likes
    Midwest is by far the best I have ever used
    Solutions Heating and Air, Inc. Jacksonville, Florida "Solutions for All Your HVAC Needs"

Post Likes
    midwest is all I use.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Wiss. The only way to go.
    I second that

14. Dislikes chrisevansac disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    after 15 years of new construction duct and furnace installs,i tried every make of snips i could get my hands on.since everything was piece work,proper snips are very important for speed.i found that wiss are the best.use them for a few months then chuck them for a new pair.wish i would have saved them all up just to see how many i wore out over the years.

Post Likes
    midwest offsets are my favorite . have tried many over the last 16 years

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tostaos View Post
    handtools Midwest
    powertools Trumpf http://www.trumpf-powertools.com/index.php?id=1209&L=1
    Where do you get these Trumpf power snips? How much are they?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    go to the link in above post and you have an email and phone number. They will let you know who is selling it in your State. I guesstimate the price to be $350-450

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tostaos View Post
    go to the link in above post and you have an email and phone number. They will let you know who is selling it in your State. I guesstimate the price to be $350-450
    Although it is a good looking shear capable of getting in tight spaces and cutting 16 ga metal I do not think I will be putting out the $570 they are asking.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    A buddy of mine has a set of lennox snips likes them alot. Cuts through almost anything without any issues and is using them almost daily. I liked them when i tried them but im cheap so i buy the wiss lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe RBVBD View Post
    I am looking for the best sheetmetal cutting snips. I do install in addition to service, and I make my own plenums in the field. Not to mention all the duct modification I do in the field.

None of my metal cutting tools seem to survive long. So any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Klenks are a good way to go they're real beefy and I think they're very underrated as far as compared to Malco or wiss

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in