Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best sheetmetal cutting snips

I am looking for the best sheetmetal cutting snips. I do install in addition to service, and I make my own plenums in the field. Not to mention all the duct modification I do in the field.

None of my metal cutting tools seem to survive long. So any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Wiss. The only way to go.

yep... new pair every week.... ..
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Wiss are definitely the standard, although I picked up some Milwaukee snips to try in the shop and they seem pretty good.

I tried many different brands when I did sheetmetal work, and I found the Malco AVs and Max2000s were the best anywhere. The AVs were nice because the offsets were very low profile and they had a smooth operation. The Max2000s stayed very sharp, and the larger grips allowed you to cut heavy gauge metal. They had a longer cutting edge = more cuts with fewer strokes = less hand fatigue.

I never carried anything but a right and left offset and a pair of bulldogs for cutting slips and drives. I was doing large commercial sheetmetal installs, and I could get about 1-2 years out of my snips.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

When I was doing a lot of duct work new construction and replacement installs I would get about 3 months out of Irwin right offsets, though comfortable and worked good just didn't last. I got a pair of Lennox right offsets and won't get anything else ever again. Get about 12 to 15 months out of a pair. It helps a lot to only cut tin with your snips and get a pair of bulldogs for cutting the seems, slips and drives.

1st of let me say I do not do install and rarely use snips.

However I do have a set for the few times a year I might need them.
    They are just cheap ace hardware brand, but they just cut right
    Through the sheet metal no issue. I don't foresee any complaints if
    I did have to use them daily though.
    Tell Obama he can keep the change

I worked as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for 7 years, doing quite a bit of sheet metal in that time. I'm now a first year HVAC/R apprentice.

In my opinion, having used many different types, I found that for overall quality and Longevity, nothing outperformed Wiss

Hands down midwest. They beat the hell out of wiss and I think all malco are are midwest snips with malco name on it.

Midwest are the best. Most comfortable to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

+1 for Midwest.
    They were even better when they were sold under the Craftsman name and had the lifetime warranty

I used Midwest for a while and Malco for a while, then I got a pair of Lennox rights and left and will never go back to any other snips they are the best hands down IMO. For straight cutting I use Malco 12s

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneKeano View Post
    I worked as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for 7 years, doing quite a bit of sheet metal in that time. I'm now a first year HVAC/R apprentice.

In my opinion, having used many different types, I found that for overall quality and Longevity, nothing outperformed Wiss
    I did A&P for a while back in the late 1970's... seemed the only real $$$ was graveyard at the airlines... something I did not like much.

I used to buy Wiss at HD... then tried Malco and use them. Have not tried Midwest yet.

One thing for sure; one gets a better price on tools online now-a-days. I tend to buy a bundle of stuff every few mos... rather than nickel and dime... usually get free shipping and sometimes a volume discount.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast