Hybrid View

AprilAire model 110 humidifier. They don't work well do they?

I was actually kinda psyched considering this was my second real job since starting my HVAC classes..... And I succeeded.
    Anyway, it sat idle for 20+ years. Mom's getting old so I got it going for her again. Took it apart, cleaned, new filter ect. A broken thermostat wire was the culprit. Got it going and checked for leaks and all. I'm new and not familiar with much. But common sense just tells me somethings still not right. It's tapped into a pipe with very cold water, and I think just as much water is running down the drain. Would'nt it make more sense for it to be tapped into a pipe closer to the water heater?
    Also I notice the aprilaire thermostat needs to be turned almost all the way up for it to kick on.?. It is about 28 degrees F. and where I have to set it to come on is for about 50 degree F weather. (I am taking into consideration it's 35 years old). I have a real barometer set up next to it. It did raise from 28% to about 31% (with the aprilair therm. set at 48%). Glad it still works atleast.
    Tips,experience, suggestions would be appreciated and helpful.?.?. Thanks.

I installed and serviced 110s for thirteen years, and they work well enough, but they do use a lot of water to prevent mineral buildup. They work best with hot water and gas furnace, but will work on a heat pump. Must be level. There's a manual available online.

That makes sense about the water. I'm thinking of changing the supply to a warm water supply.

Thread relocated to Tech to Tech

There should be a orfice in the 1/4" copper tube that comes off the top of the solinode (sp?). The color of the orfice determines the (water) flow rate.

We started to install the old (black) AprilAire humidifiers in the early 60's. Mine home had one installed around 1965 and I just replaced it (it still worked fine) with an updated (easier to service) automatic AprilAire.

P.S. Question...back in the 60's they were know as AprilAire on the Illinois side of the Mississippi (the river seperates us from Illinois) and by a different name on Iowa side.
    I cannot remember the other name they used. Help? Both were made by Reasearch Products out of Wisconsin.
    Last edited by George2; 11-24-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Additional thought/question

A couple more thoughts. I usually interlocked to the blower so that humidifier control would be enabled anytime the blower runs, not just if it runs on a call for heat. That way humidification could be improved by setting the thermostat fan switch to On. Of course, hot water is essential for this to work. I advised customers to turn the humidistat Off during air conditioning months. About the humidistat you're using, those old humidistats used a nylon ribbon to sense humidity, and would start to lose accuracy after about ten years. New electronic humidistats may be more accurate but I think they also start to lose accuracy after some years.

Hot water works better, honeywells new humidifiers use a ton less water by turning the water on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    There should be a orfice in the 1/4" copper tube that comes off the top of the solinode (sp?). The color of the orfice determines the (water) flow rate.

We started to install the old (black) AprilAire humidifiers in the early 60's. Mine home had one installed around 1965 and I just replaced it (it still worked fine) with an updated (easier to service) automatic AprilAire.

P.S. Question...back in the 60's they were know as AprilAire on the Illinois side of the Mississippi (the river seperates us from Illinois) and by a different name on Iowa side.
    I cannot remember the other name they used. Help? Both were made by Reasearch Products out of Wisconsin.
    George, was the other name chippawah? We installed truck loads of the aprilaire 224, that's all our company put in, along with all those orange door Chryslers!! That was a few years ago though, before I was part of the crew. There are still quite a few of these furnace/ humidifier installs we service every fall.

That's it! Thank you very much. I knew if I heard the name it would ring a (rusty) bell.

They were a dog to service, but they were bullit proof.

Yeah, they don't give up as long as they get alittle attention every now and then.