Heatilator Pilot Assembly

Heatilator Pilot Assembly

Gentlemen,

I am a commercial hvac tech who was asked to look at a gas fireplace (heatilator) standing pilot will not stay lit. The pilot assembly has 4 components-spark igniter, pilot head, thermopile?,thermocouple? and when I light the pilot, the flame does not contact the smaller thermocouple. I tried adjusting the pilot flame and it gets plenty big but still does not contact the thermocouple. I am of the mind that the unit is ten years old and that the log insert should be replaced. My question is this...can a replacement log assembly be had and if so will it be a big setback for the customer?
    It might get loud!

The pilot probably just needs cleaned/replaced

Logs don't usually wear out. Other problems happen to them, mishandling typically although we had one that put them through the dishwasher and they turned to pulp and likely wrecked her dishwasher. You can contact local distributor for Heatilator and find out if they still have a replacement logset.
    For the pilot, soulds like either dirt in the pilot or corrosion in the pilot hood, some of them are top-convertible and you can replace just the hood. All others you have to rplace the pilot assembly and most of those come with new thermocouple, thermopile and electrode.
    Good Luck

Thanks Rob. This thing was a real booger to disassemble. I will find the local rep and see if I can get parts.
    It might get loud!

Duke,

You probably fixed it already but if possible try using a air compressor/air gun pancake portable type and blow the pilot out/assembly really well then check the pilot. Robs right get the assembly rather than just the pilot cheaper and you know that your other 3 components are new and will give the customer no problems in the long run.

Cleaned out 2 gas inserts the last couple days pilot was having issues got the air gun blew the white buildup/combustion product/byproduct out of it and bam started lighting up fine. Well have a cool one.