Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Young man, I have one word to share:

Commercial.
    +1
    I just spent 6 years in residential service/replacement. I got to the point where I was tired of hearing myself saying the same stuff to homeowners. Stuff like "you need to change your filter", "you need to get your equipment maintained so you don't buy flame sensors every 3 years"
    It gets frustrating when homeowners lie to you, frustrating to hear the sob stories about other companies.

I just transitioned to commercial about 2 months ago and it is simply the best. The work is steady, the office isn't always calling me in a panic to take more calls all the time, and best of all, no haggling over money anymore. PMs are paid for, installs are billed out and repairs only require a signature.
    I'll never look back

Greenhorn,

Don't loose hope. The HVAC field is a great career choice. You get out of it what you put in it. Find a company that doesn't pressure you for sales and gives you the opportunity to grow as a service technician. Commercial companies aren't so much sales oriented and there is no pressure residential companies out there too. It took myself a couple of companies before I found the one fit my way of thinking and had good business practices.

Stick around this site. There is a lot of great information and guidance for any level HVAC tech.

Thanks guys, hopefully I can stick with it and get through this horse crap.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    +1
    I just spent 6 years in residential service/replacement. I got to the point where I was tired of hearing myself saying the same stuff to homeowners. Stuff like "you need to change your filter", "you need to get your equipment maintained so you don't buy flame sensors every 3 years"
    It gets frustrating when homeowners lie to you, frustrating to hear the sob stories about other companies.

I just transitioned to commercial about 2 months ago and it is simply the best. The work is steady, the office isn't always calling me in a panic to take more calls all the time, and best of all, no haggling over money anymore. PMs are paid for, installs are billed out and repairs only require a signature.
    I'll never look back
    Ditto I do both resid and comm. I work for a very honest company that dont really push sales on you like other companies do. Residential companies are to greedy. over charging for caps and UV lights. I hate going to a new customers house and seeing 4 UV lights installed because the prev used scare tactics to force them into buying them. that puts a bad name on our profession. stop the greed and be honest with your self.

Hey Brent you left the biggest culprit off your list.....Sears is the worst. My manager told me last week that when it gets slow ill be the first to get laid off, and in the same breath said that I have more technical skills and knowledge than some of his 10 year techs. I worked for the most reputable resi company in Va Beach and loved it. Integrity and craftsmanship were first with them. Then we moved to Nc and I started with sears and have hated it since. I refuse to lower myself and it will probably cost me my job. One day ill find a good company.

I couldn't agree more. I recently moved into a new home, renting, I wasnt getting hot water in the master bathe. Called the homeowners techs to come out. He comes in, turns the water on, takes a look at the water heater goes to his truck and tells me he needs a new water heater. Meanwhile I'm already calling his boss and asking why he sent a parts changer, not a service TECHNICIAN. So I basically kicked the guy out and told his boss to screw. I looked at the mixer valve, the gasket was worn and it just needed a new valve. SO basically this guy just walked in and walked out and said i need a brand new water heater. I looked at my water heater and its 1 year old perfectly fine. I don't pay the maintenance bill since im renting but i wasnt going to let the home owner be ripped off. I hate these people in this business they ruin everyones reputation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12