Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    195

    scum bag crooks!!!!!

    Yesterday I went out to my truck and to my surprize the back doors where open. I immediately knew what happened. Lazy lowlife excuse for humans stole over 14 years worth of tools. I am so disgusted. The reason I am posting this is for this reason, I have a ford truck with a supreme body on it(bins on both sides that fold down). Is there any way to put an alarm on this. There are 6 bins two front doors(obviously) and a double back door. If anyone has this body style and has an alarm on it please let me know. Also what was the cost of the alarm system. Thankyou all and kindly remember to LOCK YOUR DOORS!!! I live in a very nice, quiet neighborhood and got lazy with this simple practice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    7,281
    I lock my doors with hockey pucks in my driveway, in DC, in Baltimore or in the middle of a field with the nearest human being over 100 miles away, matters not to me and my tools. I unlock go in, come out and lock up, even if I can see the van, even if I will only be gone for a few seconds.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Over Here
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    I lock my doors with hockey pucks in my driveway, in DC, in Baltimore or in the middle of a field with the nearest human being over 100 miles away, matters not to me and my tools. I unlock go in, come out and lock up, even if I can see the van, even if I will only be gone for a few seconds.
    Well said. I am anal about locking my doors in my truck is well. There are too many people at there nowadays who are looking for an easy grab to feed their drug fix.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,588
    I had my tools stolen before, I don't know if you were at home (I forgot what you wrote already lol) but HO insurance will cover things like that. My boss Mabe it pretty clear I owed him for the tools and that's the route I took.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester NH
    Posts
    208
    SCUM!!! I have luckily never had my tools stolen as I drive my personal vehicle and there are not a ton of tools in there. Same as you I live in a quite neighborhood and got lazy, came out one morning to someone had stolen my cell phone charger and change. Left my tools and everything else. One day 2 months ago I left my truck on my street. Some smashed the window and again stole my cell charger, some cloths and a bunch of papers above my visor, again left the tool bag and cordless driver. HO insurance will cover some but only if value was above the deductible. Sorry I just replied but didnt answer your question about the alarms. Good luck though!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,483
    Have an alarm system that I purchased over 20 years ago. I think it's a Radio Shack. You can use door switches and do all the doors, or you can Epoxy little "transponders" to areas where switches are difficult to install. It uses a hidden or key type off-on switch and includes a pager, that will notify you if the vehicle is tampered with. I bought two of em backwhen, and put one on my fishing truck. The thing worked great and was still working when the truck went to the Big baler at the scrap yard. Just noticed that I still have this alarm in all my stuff on a shelf in the garage. Of course I bought two of em at the time, and "Im a gonna" install the second one on my service truck. Obviously never did.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    miami,fl.
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesjen829 View Post
    Yesterday I went out to my truck and to my surprize the back doors where open. I immediately knew what happened. Lazy lowlife excuse for humans stole over 14 years worth of tools. I am so disgusted. The reason I am posting this is for this reason, I have a ford truck with a supreme body on it(bins on both sides that fold down). Is there any way to put an alarm on this. There are 6 bins two front doors(obviously) and a double back door. If anyone has this body style and has an alarm on it please let me know. Also what was the cost of the alarm system. Thankyou all and kindly remember to LOCK YOUR DOORS!!! I live in a very nice, quiet neighborhood and got lazy with this simple practice.
    Sorry to hear about that. it never happen to me but i say all the time if it did it will hurt me bad. i always lock my van with the hockey pucks even if im 20 feet away its just a habit. when i was like 12 my step dad was a crook he had buddies that made a living off breaking into commercial vans they will watch the guy when he enters a building. its messed up but you gotta cover your A**

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    325
    The easiest way to alarm your vehicle is with a regular alarm system with a shock detector. The sensitivity is usually adjustable to where it will alarm with a slight bump or movement of the truck, but the downside is that it will alarm when a loud exhaust or trash truck drives by. The better systems have a 2 way pager that will alert you in addition to the siren going off.
    A better system will have solenoids that lock when you arm the system and door sensors that alarm if they are opened and would not rely on a sensitive shock detector.
    The better systems I'm aware of are Clifford or Viper

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I had my tools stolen before, I don't know if you were at home (I forgot what you wrote already lol) but HO insurance will cover things like that. My boss Mabe it pretty clear I owed him for the tools and that's the route I took.
    Do yourself a HUGE favor.

    Call your agent.

    I had a theft here at the house. Not tools, but an ATV. While we were making a claim, I asked the agent about my tools.

    He proudly said that I was covered for $1000 worth of tools.

    I couldn't catch my breath I was laughing so hard.

    We were able to add an appropriate zero and make the coverage more meaningful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    423
    I have the habit of anytime I open up the back of my truck to looking around to see if anyone is watching before and after I take out my tools and materials. I give some type of friendly gesture if someone is watching.
    I don't label my truck either it only draws attention to break-in's or complains to move your truck or cutting off someone on the street.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    975
    I do the same every move in & out & get teased for being over paranoid until the one mouthing off gets hit and comes to work all bummed out!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    Name:  image-3503784198.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  49.7 KB

    Install these no one gets in

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Name:  image-3503784198.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  49.7 KB

    Install these no one gets in
    I have the pucks on my van. You can get past them though. I broke the key off in one of the pucks and had to cut it off. Took about 10 minutes with a cordless grinder and a cutoff wheel. If they have the time and the guts they can be defeated.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

    The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

    Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event