What happens when I close the door?

The plumber was there when we arrived and was upset that I told the homeowner this system was not safe.
    So, we turned on the furnace and shut the door and I told him he would know when to leave. Seriously, not making it up people, He still can't understand why the system was unsafe. Were changing out everything next month.
    Name:  20121018_113736.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  45.1 KB

That is so wrong on so many different levels

Why are you waiting a month to fix a possible co problem?

That's what Hearthman would call a "professionally designed CO distribution system".

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. What type of room is the water heater and furnace located in? If it is an attached garage I would say it is ok. Do they have another furnace somewhere else that does the rest of the house? Please let me know what I'm missing.

No Return Air If that door is closed... downflow furnace

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Why are you waiting a month to fix a possible co problem?
    No occupied, their heating with electric heaters until their remodel is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. What type of room is the water heater and furnace located in? If it is an attached garage I would say it is ok. Do they have another furnace somewhere else that does the rest of the house? Please let me know what I'm missing.
    Enclosed porch with downflow furnace, the door leads to the rest of the home. When the door closes the furnace fan will grab all the air it can from the vents leading outside, if the flames don't shoot into the room first while looking for combustion air!

Forgot to point out, what do you think about that union off the hot water tanks relief, hard piped to the sewer system.

Thanks for clearing up what was going on. At first glance I thought it was an upflow furnace with an a-coil or something on top, I didn't realize that it was sitting on top of ductwork that feeds the house. Yeah, that isn't good. As far as the water heater relief, maybe they should have piped it to dump back into the cold water inlet instead. I'm kidding, of course. I can almost understand a plumber not knowing about a furnace, but come on, aren't water heaters supposed to be their thing.