+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $18,000 dollar injury from a service call. Suing homeonwers insurance co,

Post Likes

$18,000 dollar injury from a service call. Suing homeonwers insurance co,

two Great Danes decided to have me for lunch while working on AC.
    Transferred me to Toledo University Hospital thinking I contacted Flesh Eating Bacteria.

I have to sue the homeowners insurance because insurance in Ohio only provides for $5,000 medical, you need more you have to get a lawyer.

Three painful operations, WEEKS of painful dressings where the gauze had to be placed between the muscle and the skin,

Name:  Bite1.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  67.3 KBName:  20120722_185540.jpg
Views: 2603
Size:  45.6 KB
    Last edited by Rich; 11-21-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Post Likes
    I hear you bro, I was in a motorcycle accident 2 yrs ago. 100% other guys fault, he pulled out onto a busy road with out looking. His insurance company is refusing to pay medical bills and time for missed work(which is only 5 weeks). Had to get a lawyer. What a friggin joke.

Post Likes
    Eesh, makes me appreciate being Canadian.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    I hear you bro, I was in a motorcycle accident 2 yrs ago. 100% other guys fault, he pulled out onto a busy road with out looking. His insurance company is refusing to pay medical bills and time for missed work(which is only 5 weeks). Had to get a lawyer. What a friggin joke.
    Im in Ohio, and the laws here are NOT designed for justice but what I call 'Economic Engineering" By creating laws that force one to seek professional services for things that a judge should be able to simply decide on is meant only to redistribute wealth. What part of "Your dog bite me and caused me $18k in losses, pay up!" requires a lawyer? In your case its just plain greed from lawmakers who want to protect their own.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNtech View Post
    Eesh, makes me appreciate being Canadian.
    Canadian dogs can bite too! (just kidding, I know what you mean)

Post Likes
    Pretty rough, both the injury and how you are being treated. I hope you bit the dogs back!
    In NZ we have a No fault Accident plan "any accident" (for those injured and everybody is covered), all medical, rehabilitation and 80% of salary. (capped at about US$100K)
    Little or no suing.
    The accident itself is looked at by others, depending upon the type of accident.

Post Likes
    True story, one week after I got back to work I was bit two more times, both by little dogs!
    I'm going to have Kibbles and Bits printed for a name tag ! Neither broke the skin, but gesh, makes me think of 101 dalmations where they sent bark messages, 'Everyone bit Rich when he comes to work on your AC!"

Post Likes
    Does work comp pay on something like this? It did happen on a job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    Does work comp pay on something like this? It did happen on a job.
    I was going to ask the same question.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    I've been bit by dogs before- one that looked every bit as bad as yours.
    I must say though- who the hell sewed you up? That's the worst stitch job I've ever seen!
    This should have been a Workman's Comp claim.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I've been bit by dogs before- one that looked every bit as bad as yours.
    I must say though- who the hell sewed you up? That's the worst stitch job I've ever seen!
    This should have been a Workman's Comp claim.
    The scary part was one Great Dane bit me, the other was looking at me to see my reaction, the Mastive (yes they had three giant dogs) was just barking. I tried to pull away but my skin was stretching, then I thought that if I hit the dog in defense the other two would go into pack mode. I was very fortunate that just the front teeth got me, the Doctor said that Great Danes get wild hogs heads into their mouths and crush the skull and if my arm was further into his mouth he would probably shatter my bones to the point that they may have had to amputate. The homeowner grabbed the dog and beat the crap out of him to get him to let go. Its scary when a dog is looking at you eye to eye while chewing your arm! I'm 5' 10" and this dog is taller than me when on his hind legs.

I'm a sole proprietor so I'm not covered by Workers Comp. Ohio's workers comp is bankrupt and extremely expensive, I carry health insurance but they won't pay because its the liability of the home owners.

The sewing is after the third operation, the wound was open for about 12 days for drainage. Remember they thought I contacted flesh eating bacteria. I did not know that over 50% of all flesh eating bacteria is from animal bites! Also, 90% of all tetnis (spelling) patients die! I was seen by a total of 9 doctors because of the bacteria concern, thankfully I didn't come down to it.

The scar today isn't as bad as the stitches show. I will try to post another picture here, if it doesn't work I'll figureName:  20120817_063633.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  42.6 KB out how to do it.

Forgive my typos, I'm really tired ....
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Post Likes
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too man. Those battle scars have earned you a third plate. Have you looked into an accident injury lawyer? Some only take cases they know they'll win so you don't have to pay them up front.

Post Likes
    I was able to contact a lawyer that specifically deals with animal injuries. May take a while to get things settled, what sucks is I tried my best to save the insurances money by not having home nurses change my dressings but instead had my wife do it, things like that and they in turn won't call me back for six weeks even after the homeowner called them at least every day for two weeks. Then they wanted all this paperwork, tons and tons, then told me they would pay on 5K and then not write another check except for the final one more and I was to submit my bills 'within two years'. Ok, Lawyer time! I swear Insurance and Lawyers are brothers in the evolutionary lineage LOL.

Post Likes
    That sucks man. Makes me even prouder to live in a country where I get free heatlth care and dont have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed then hire a lawyer and hope I get my $ back.

Hope you get you $ back

Post Likes
    Next time, kill the dog. Seriously, grab its head with your free arm and snap its neck. It's just a dog.

I speak from experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    True story, one week after I got back to work I was bit two more times, both by little dogs!
    I'm going to have Kibbles and Bits printed for a name tag ! Neither broke the skin, but gesh, makes me think of 101 dalmations where they sent bark messages, 'Everyone bit Rich when he comes to work on your AC!"
    Stop bathing with pork chop scented soap.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I would have shot those dogs if they got too close to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I would have shot those dogs if they got too close to me.
    So you carry in client's homes when you are on a service call?

"Bark, bark, grrrrrrrl...." BLAM! "Wow! Ma'am, your dog got too close.... sorry for the mess in your kitchen here.... Now where's that pesky furnace of yours?"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thermojohn View Post
    So you carry in client's homes when you are on a service call?

"Bark, bark, grrrrrrrl...." BLAM! "Wow! Ma'am, your dog got too close.... sorry for the mess in your kitchen here.... Now where's that pesky furnace of yours?"
    Thats one of the funniest things ive read in awhile.. I know many dont like the idea of carrying in a customers home but if I did residential again and this damn state allowed carry to conceal I would most defiantly carry in someones home. The beauty of it, no one would know I had a gun until it was too late and I had to use it. At that point there would be no doubt my life was in danger and it was self defense. I have to go home to my family too, you know. If im not around to support them who else is going to?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Don't forget to field dress the dogs. Makes 'em easier to haul out to the van.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in