+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $18,000 dollar injury from a service call. Suing homeonwers insurance co,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thermojohn View Post
    So you carry in client's homes when you are on a service call?

"Bark, bark, grrrrrrrl...." BLAM! "Wow! Ma'am, your dog got too close.... sorry for the mess in your kitchen here.... Now where's that pesky furnace of yours?"
    What's the difference if I shoot it or beat it to death with a wrench?

Yeah, the gun is faster, but it's just as dead.

Since my company's insurance has cracked down a little more on concealed carry, my Smith rides in a drawer more than it does on my hip.

Nobody will object, though, to my carrying an 18" pipe wrench or a crowbar or a hammer.

I promise that any of the above will RUIN your day.

Post Likes
    Other peoples dogs suck. I ask people to secure there dogs when I show up. Also carry my duct knife in back pocket when dogs on site. I am not gonna be lunch. It's a sh$tty position to be in!!!!

Post Likes
    So you carry in client's homes when you are on a service call?

"Bark, bark, grrrrrrrl...." BLAM! "Wow! Ma'am, your dog got too close.... sorry for the mess in your kitchen here.... Now where's that pesky furnace of yours?"
    Damn strait I do...and for this very reason. If your stupid pitbull or great dane comes growlin up to me, Im well within my rights to draw and shoot that beast.
    I am also licensed and well within my rights to carry a concealed weapon.

Lock your untrained damn dogs up when a service man comes over.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The scary part was one Great Dane bit me, the other was looking at me to see my reaction, the Mastive (yes they had three giant dogs) was just barking. I tried to pull away but my skin was stretching, then I thought that if I hit the dog in defense the other two would go into pack mode. I was very fortunate that just the front teeth got me, the Doctor said that Great Danes get wild hogs heads into their mouths and crush the skull and if my arm was further into his mouth he would probably shatter my bones to the point that they may have had to amputate. The homeowner grabbed the dog and beat the crap out of him to get him to let go. Its scary when a dog is looking at you eye to eye while chewing your arm! I'm 5' 10" and this dog is taller than me when on his hind legs.

I'm a sole proprietor so I'm not covered by Workers Comp. Ohio's workers comp is bankrupt and extremely expensive, I carry health insurance but they won't pay because its the liability of the home owners.

The sewing is after the third operation, the wound was open for about 12 days for drainage. Remember they thought I contacted flesh eating bacteria. I did not know that over 50% of all flesh eating bacteria is from animal bites! Also, 90% of all tetnis (spelling) patients die! I was seen by a total of 9 doctors because of the bacteria concern, thankfully I didn't come down to it.

The scar today isn't as bad as the stitches show. I will try to post another picture here, if it doesn't work I'll figureAttachment 329131 out how to do it.

Forgive my typos, I'm really tired ....
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    That healed up nicely given that stitch job.
    My scar was about 5" long & had a tube in it for 2 weeks. Probably had 20 visible stitches on the outside.
    Barely visible today.
    My attack was from one big dog. She had him in the garage while I was out working on the condenser. She didn't get the doggie door secure & he came out. I had this feeling someone was behind me- I'm sitting on the ground. I turned around & there he was. Went right for my throat but I got my arm up in time & he bit that instead. The shaking when he bit did all my damage. Owner (the wife) was a piece of work. Blamed me for the attack. Husband came home (very nice guy) & said to go to doctor & he would pay for everything. If his Homeowners policy didn't cover it, he would. I had health coverage (I'm an owner- no WC for me) so just went to doctor, they settled up with him.
    I remember someone asking me if I wanted the dog put down. I'm a dog person, I said no.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    What's the difference if I shoot it or beat it to death with a wrench?

Yeah, the gun is faster, but it's just as dead.

Since my company's insurance has cracked down a little more on concealed carry, my Smith rides in a drawer more than it does on my hip.

Nobody will object, though, to my carrying an 18" pipe wrench or a crowbar or a hammer.

I promise that any of the above will RUIN your day.
    Ruin 'one's' day... I don't need to be convinced of that, as I already whole-heartedly agree with the logic of self-preservation. My protection is within reach at all times... It's just not a gun. I'm a firm believer in the right to carry, and I love my guns.

Was just curious about the thought of carrying while in a customer's home.... If it was discharged by a field servicer in someone's home, it would certainly bring some attention to the situation and would seem somewhat 'purposeful'. Better make sure it was used appropriately, or someone else's day is also ruined.

On the other hand, an 18" iron pipe wrench used for the same purpose would be a different matter... Still quite messy, but somewhat justified.

Post Likes
    Ruin 'one's' day... I don't need to be convinced of that, as I already whole-heartedly agree with the logic of self-preservation. My protection is within reach at all times... It's just not a gun. I'm a firm believer in the right to carry, and I love my guns.

Was just curious about the thought of carrying while in a customer's home.... If it was discharged by a field servicer in someone's home, it would certainly bring some attention to the situation and would seem somewhat 'purposeful'. Better make sure it was used appropriately, or someone else's day is also ruined.

On the other hand, an 18" iron pipe wrench used for the same purpose would be a different matter... Still quite messy, but somewhat justified.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that the tool used plays into the justification of the act.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that the tool used plays into the justification of the act.
    With the direction we are headed in... You are probably right.

Post Likes
    Man I hope it works out for you. When I installed/serviced for direct tv I started asking homeowners to secure their pets at all times I'm on the property. Some refused and I drove off.

I've been thinking about it.
    Wonder if we would get in trouble for mace or a stun gun?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dsprice View Post
    Next time, kill the dog. Seriously, grab its head with your free arm and snap its neck. It's just a dog.

I speak from experience.
    Amen! I carry a 12" bowie knife on my hip. I hear the slightest bark, growl or stampede, the steel comes out. I had a dog attack me in one basement when i was laying on my belly fixing a boiler. Thank god Carhardt makes thick jackets. Stab in the side and turn the knife to deflate the lung.-Puppy drops
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Did some work at a dog training facility, where they specialize in training aggressive dogs. Most were locked up on arrival, except for one that even the owner was afraid of. Made it clear to me that I was not to go back to my truck without him being in the yard. I didn't need my pipe wrench that day, but it never left my side

Post Likes
    Plumber friend, decapitated a german shepard with a shovel. Courts basically laughed at the woman and told her they wouldn't be there if she could control her pets.

I have punted several ankle biters. Made one old lady cry. Went on to tell me it would't bite me, she had only had it 4 days. I have a Rottweiler, not afraid of dogs. If you are, they will know it. Never had an issue with a big dog, always them little worthless bark machines. I tell the customer to control their dog, if they don't I will make the dog not like me and be afraid of me. I don't care if they are watching or not. Not hard to lock a dog in a bedroom.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I'm a sole proprietor so I'm not covered by Workers Comp. Ohio's workers comp is bankrupt and extremely expensive, I carry health insurance but they won't pay because its the liability of the home owners.
    Gotcha. Comp exempt as they call it here.

Post Likes
    Wow! Sorry to hear about something like that! it is tougher getting attacked by two, I have been attacked by one before, I kicked his ass, picked him up and threw him 20 ft through the air.
    Home owner came out and asked what I did to his dog. I said we were just communicating!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I remember someone asking me if I wanted the dog put down. I'm a dog person, I said no.
    Now if you could just have had the wife put down...

Great stories about dealing with dogs!

Post Likes
    It would be a bit over $18K if it were me.

Post Likes
    Wow!

I hope you make a full recovery!

I've been bitten at work myself ,,,and it sucks .

One time the HO had a kid hold the dog on a leash and the next thing I know the kid turned the dog loose.

The dog bit me and I had teeth holes in my leg...when I showed the HO the ***** got mad at ME demanding to know what I did to provoke her dog!!!!!!!!!!!

I was beyond pissed at this point and left .

Post Likes
    BTW in my opinion you should get all your bills paid , covered for lost time and revenue,and pain and suffering...

Anyone who fails to secure their animals is asking for it. Its their problem and fault . Not the dogs and not yours either.

I'm not saying be angry ... Make sure you get everything you would have earned,all your bills paid plus a bonus for all the BS you have and are going thru ,past present and future

Post Likes
    I'm seeing at least 180K

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by perryaire View Post
    Wow! Sorry to hear about something like that! it is tougher getting attacked by two, I have been attacked by one before, I kicked his ass, picked him up and threw him 20 ft through the air.
    Home owner came out and asked what I did to his dog. I said we were just communicating!
    I laughed so hard I almost threw up ...thank you!!!

Post Likes
    Lawyer up man

The insurance company knows you got them by the balls .
    They will never admit it though and will act is if they are doing you a favor .
    I see a slam dunk and a out of court settlement .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in