Thread: New Thermostat

Post Likes
    Hello,

I recently made the mistake of trying to change my old crappy thermostat for a new programmable one. Me being the dumb A that I am I didn't turn the power off to the thermostat first. Now the furnace will not power on. I am getting power to the thermostat, and I do have voltage coming into the furnace. I read somewhere on the furnace that there is a reset button and wonder if that might be the fix? I can't find the button however. I have an Amana Air Command 80SSE. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    Jon

Post Likes
    Please call a Pro.......its probally time to have that furnace checked out anyhow. Maybe you got lucky and didn't fry anything, just turn power off now, find your yellow book, and call someone before you do fry something.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    sounds more like you might of miss wired it, or its the wrong type of T-stat for your application. Go back over the directions, to be sure.

Post Likes
    Call a reputable company

Post Likes
    Hey guys,

I have helped out quite a few different people on this website before, I have 10 years exp. in the refrigeration industry and told this poor guy I work with that this website had capable professionals that could answer his questions.

Give the young man a hand, or could someone at least direct us to where we can locate a service manual for this model of furnace. That would sure be a big help to him. He is bright enough to troubleshoot his way through this and it will be a good experience for him.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by referguy123
    Hey guys,

I have helped out quite a few different people on this website before, I have 10 years exp. in the refrigeration industry and told this poor guy I work with that this website had capable professionals that could answer his questions.

Give the young man a hand, or could someone at least direct us to where we can locate a service manual for this model of furnace. That would sure be a big help to him. He is bright enough to troubleshoot his way through this and it will be a good experience for him.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    I thought I gave him some good advice. that's the first thing I would have done. He didn't give much info. Said it wouldn't power up, not sure what he means by that.

Post Likes

Good for you!!

I've been a member of this site for a couple years now, I read the threads and think, we all started at the beginning...give some folks a break!!

I'm a residential union HVAC tech, I love my job, I work for a wonderful company. I've only got 3 yrs in the field, I learn something new everyday..it's not all been easy because I'm a woman (I know I don't have to go into all that!) but thanks to the guys I work with I'm gettin'r done! So give the new guys a break......we are all professionals, lets act like it!!

Post Likes

Jon,

I recommend checking out the transformer at the furnace. You may have blown it by inadvertently miswiring the tstat. But what I really recommend doing is calling a pro to help ya out if you're the least bit not sure of what you're doing!
    WHY?

Post Likes
    This site isn't about helping DIY's!! Do you realize the harm that someone can cause themselves by trying to do something they are not qualified to do.

Let's see:

1) Burn your house down.
    2) Kill yourself. See item 1.
    3) Cost yourself more money in the long run.
    4) Waste time on something you should be having a pro do. While he is fixing it, you can sit back and have a cold beer. Doesn't that sound nice?

Bottom line is, if you had read the site rules before you posted this thread wouldn't exist. You are risking no help because you are risking gettting banned. My advice:

CALL A PRO!!

Post Likes
    check the board and see if there is a replaceable fuse on the board. Barring that it could be the transformer.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Black Adder
    check the board and see if there is a replaceable fuse on the board. Barring that it could be the transformer.

make sure youe disconnect the thermostat you miswired and turn off the breaker/fuse to the equipment....(be warned, sarcasm follows) If you don't know which one it is, then by all means, continue ahead...nothing better than a medical bill to make the contractor bill look reasonable.

Havin'a good time is what life is all about.

Post Likes
    put the old thermostat back on and see if the unit will come on, if it does then you must have miswired your new thermostat, but please turn the power off this time...

Post Likes
    This thread should be closed shouldn't it?

This guy is going to hurt himself or his equipment...no DIY!!

Post Likes
    Either way it's his dime, no one is giving explicit directions on how to check anything. Just offering possible problem/solutions.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Black Adder
    Either way it's his dime, no one is giving explicit directions on how to check anything. Just offering possible problem/solutions.
    I disagree.

Post Likes
    Please tell me where I gave him explicit instructions how to troubleshoot anything...?
    WHY?

Post Likes
    Seaton: What do you disagree to? The fact that it's his dime or that no explicit instructions were given.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in